Fiberglass Patching and Painting

• Thread starter Thread starter kippersnack
  • Start date Start date
K

kippersnack

[?]I have a fiberglass boat that has a couple of small damaged areas on it that I would like to repair.Are there repair kits available for smaller repairs like this and what do I need,if anything,to seal the patchwork once the repair is done?

I did this for a living but got out because I HATE fiberglass. Where ever you are repairing you must use the "Rule of 20" to make as stuctral as new. This means if the repair is an inch deep then you must taper the surounding area 20" wide and kinda peel it back like an onion with a grinder. Then you can see what is used interms of material. Cut out you matting or roving to size and laminate from there. Don't just patch it over and hope for the best, i have seen it result in leaking, then sinking then......well you know.

Thankyou for the tips. Kipper
quote:Originally posted by Maxpower

I did this for a living but got out because I HATE fiberglass. Where ever you are repairing you must use the "Rule of 20" to make as stuctral as new. This means if the repair is an inch deep then you must taper the surounding area 20" wide and kinda peel it back like an onion with a grinder. Then you can see what is used interms of material. Cut out you matting or roving to size and laminate from there. Don't just patch it over and hope for the best, i have seen it result in leaking, then sinking then......well you know.

Kipper, can you post some pictures and we can see what you need. Small dings can be patched and coated with Gelcoat by hand, larger areas work better by spraying the gelcoat. Industrial plastics have some of the best selection of material, then West Marine and Trotac. Done right it can be blended in unnoticeable and is not beyond the realm of the home handyman. I've just finished the exercise of fixing a bunch of small holes and dings to larger repair areas requiring spraying with a HLVP gun. If your a novice like me theres a bit of a learning curve but get over that hump and you can fix any fiberglass damage on your boat. The hard part is color matching.

pick up a copy of Runabout Renovation , I got mine at Industrial Plastics . It seemed harder than it was before I read the book . Its like Fiberglass for Dummies .

I had no experience with fiberglass at all and did Stringers and a transom on an older Double Eagle I had

Good luck

Tubbed

Back