Fibergalss hull refinish

alley cat

Comes Spring( yes it will arrive) being retired I looked at the boat today and decided the oxidation has set in and my old flotation device needs to be perked up.
Not wanting to get too deep into the refinish , here is what I think I might do :

1. Use 1000 grit paper to grind the surface.
2. Buff down with tulip paper
3. Then apply aircraft and boat wax to bring up the gloss.

Does this sound good to all out there ?

Thanks in the advance for the comments.

Cheers

AL

My boat is 30+ years old. I used a product called poly-glo and it made the boat look like new. It's easy to use and it gets rid of all the oxidation. cost me less than $100. It also lasts alot longer than any wax. I strongly suggest you give it a try.

Hardware store or in a Marine store Shermanater ?

AL

Also the acrylic floor wax any specific brand ?

Tks

AL

I did a 21' boat a few years ago. 1000 wet with lots of water. then 3M heavy cleaner on a machine.(use a spray bottle and keep it from drying). then a good quality wax. I just waxed it every year after that and it still looks good.

Poli Glow. I got it from myboatstore.com. I got the kit that comes with everything. It is soooo much easier than wax. All you do is wipe it on. Check it out. They also have it at industrial plastics in Nanaimo but it's more expensive. It works awsome. My father-inlaw used it on his 32ft sailboat and he loves it too.

Thanks Shermanater sounds like an alternative to look into if the job takes on all the aspects of a lot of time out of the water.
If only I could convince the wife to move her car out of the garage for the rest of the winter and put the boat in I might consider the total refinish of the hull.

Cheers

AL

Hey Al ,I tried a couple of different products, my boat is 30 odd years old and I thought it was going to be a sand job too.I used heavy duty fiberglass color restorer from west marine #276089.I bought a 18 volt orbital polisher from costco ,saved a lot of elbow grease.Wax with your favorite.It took awhile but it sure was worth it. DAN

Back