Fiberfoem boats

fish brain

Crew Member
Hi all,
Does anyone have any experience with Fiberform boats?
I'm considering a rebuilt 24 ft. They have done stringers, transom, motor, and leg.
The boat fits my budget, but I'm not looking to buy a constant headache either. I've had one of those before.
I've already done a quick search of SFBC, there doesn't seem to be much info on them. Any help you guys can give would be appreciated.

Hi all,
I'm considering a rebuilt 24 ft. They have done stringers, transom, motor, and leg.
The boat fits my budget, but I'm not looking to buy a constant headache either. I've had one of those before.
I've already done a quick search of SFBC, there doesn't seem to be much info on them. Any help you guys can give would be appreciated.

I had a 24 ft. Fiberform Express Bridge from 1990 until 1999. Outside of normal maintenance and having to replace the odd riser or two, it was a good boat. Spent many weekends cruising the Islands with my wife and kids, and fished a lot in it. Only reason I got rid of it was I got involved in marine rescue and, as it was much more fun to go out in a 24 ft Zodiac with twin 200's and not have to pay for gas, I wasn't using it.

My mom told me when I was very young that if I couldn't say something nice,then say nothing at all.............

Thanks for the history R.S Craven. I am still looking for a product review. I understand they are on the heavy side. but how is the overall construction? How would they compare to a Double Eagle or Hourston?
What type of water can they handle?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats what I'm after Rayvon. If'in you dont like em why?
I'm looking for a reliable unit not a piece of sh@t. any advice from you guys is appreciated.

My mom told me when I was very young that if I couldn't say something nice,then say nothing at all.............

Your post is a waste of time and space. If you have something that might be useful to Fishbrain - say it. Otherwise all you're doing is padding your post numbers.

I have a 22ft and it is my 2nd. they are heavy but I find when the weather gets rough I,m happy it is. I like them. so far the only problem I,ve had is a soft spot in the floor of this one which I will fix this month.

Buddy had one for over 20 years and I loved fishing off of it was a 20 ft sedan model thing sat like a duck we nicknamed it fiber duck because him and his partner at the time looked like laurel and hardy one guy at 350 plus and the other at maybe a 160 it ran and took water very well, One thing about the older boats they were all hand laid glass so it was put on extra heavy in spots some times a bit over kill hence them being "heavier" then modern boats that are now built choppergun style.
If the stringers and transom have been done just take a rubber hammer and check around on the floor and any other areas if you hear a way different sound or spongy be careful and see how big of an area. If there is any screws at back of boat low on transom ask if you can take one out??? if he refuses hhhmmmm tell him you just want to check for moisture he can put sika and re seal if not... as if its been sitting up any water will be collected back there and when you take the screw out and water comes out you know then the transom is soaked..

God luck wolf

Sorry about my post,I can see how it would be offensive to anyone that has owned and enjoyed their boat.My experience with Fiberform boats is limited to a few,but they were very poorly built.The front decks were so lightly built they would bend under foot,looking under deck there was only mat or chopper gun fiberglass.As Wolf said the earlier ones may have been built heavier,but I can only comment on the ones I've seen.In the end any boat that gets us out on the water and fishing is a good boat.Just one guys opinion,but I did work on boats for 40 years.

No problem Rayvon. I do appreciate the thoughts though.
I'm getting the sense that the older boats might have better construction, perhaps before Bayliner bout them out?

Good point about taking a screw out of the bottom of the transom Wolf. If I go look at it I will definitely do that, plus take along my rubber hammer. I should do that with any boat really.
Heres the boat, http://www.usednanaimo.com/classified-ad/24-ft-Fiberform-Fishing-Boat_23912997 It's a couple of feet bigger than I'm looking for. I'm wating on more pictures before I decide to go see it. It's been a couple of days now, so we'll see if he sends them.

I have a 1980 21SF. It is a walkaround model. Grady and Fiberform seemed to be the first with the design, before Campion and Bayliner copied them.
The guy who ran General Boats in North Van.,(Rod Baker) called them a chopper boat. The fiberglass liner seemed like chopper glass underneath of it. The hull seems better, good lay-up.
The hull design is good, and steers, turns and planes well at various speeds. Good sides (gunnals) on my boat for sitting and mounting riggers, etc.
The boat only lasted until 1995 until it needed rebuilding. The boat had been stolen in it's earlier life and salvaged. (ran up on a reef, or onto an object, as far as I could tell)
I don't see very many of them lately, only one other the last few years.

I owned a 17 ft. runabout several years ago and it was a solid boat.The only issue I had with it was it had a very
shallow V hull.Ran great in flat seas but pounded something terrible with even just a small chop.Obviously built for
lakes rather than the ocean.Other than that I liked it.

Hi all,
I've already done a quick search of SFBC, there doesn't seem to be much info on them. Any help you guys can give would be apprecia
I have a 1980 21SF. It is a walkaround model. Grady and Fiberform seemed to be the first with the design, before Campion and Bayliner copied them.
The guy who ran General Boats in North Van.,(Rod Baker) called them a chopper boat. The fiberglass liner seemed like chopper glass underneath of it. The hull seems better, good lay-up.
The hull design is good, and steers, turns and planes well at various speeds. Good sides (gunnals) on my boat for sitting and mounting riggers, etc.
The boat only lasted until 1995 until it needed rebuilding. The boat had been stolen in it's earlier life and salvaged. (ran up on a reef, or onto an object, as far as I could tell)
I don't see very many of them lately, only one other the last few years.
btw. Bayliner never copied them. Google a Bayliner Santiago Offshore Fisherman. I have a 1978 Center Console walk around with a cuddy. Awesome boats. They became the Trophy’s

Attachments

• IMG_7014.jpeg
    IMG_7014.jpeg
    302.8 KB · Views: 50
I’ve own one think it was 1975, boat was heavy and well built, most of my problems came for the power,I/o lot of work and money to keep it running, the hull was pretty dam good for an old boat, 24 footer. My friend also had one and same issues. One thing to note is back then the boat cost me like 3k or so, and my buddy paid like 5k

Sorry about my post,I can see how it would be offensive to anyone that has owned and enjoyed their boat.My experience with Fiberform boats is limited to a few,but they were very poorly built.The front decks were so lightly built they would bend under foot,looking under deck there was only mat or chopper gun fiberglass.As Wolf said the earlier ones may have been built heavier,but I can only comment on the ones I've seen.In the end any boat that gets us out on the water and fishing is a good boat.Just one guys opinion,but I did work on boats for 40 years.
Same as the old bayliner, chop gun galore

Back