Extending Electrical Cord on a Scotty Downrigger

Ian_H

I am in the process of switching over one of my manual Scotty downriggers to an electrical Scotty downrigger. The electrical cord is about 2 feet short of where I want to mount the downrigger plug receptacle. Any suggestions on how I can extend the downrigger electrical cord. It is 14/2 cable, can I just replace it with a longer piece of cable?

Thanks,
Ian

quote:Originally posted by Ian_H

I am in the process of switching over one of my manual Scotty downriggers to an electrical Scotty downrigger. The electrical cord is about 2 feet short of where I want to mount the downrigger plug receptacle. Any suggestions on how I can extend the downrigger electrical cord. It is 14/2 cable, can I just replace it with a longer piece of cable?

Thanks,
Ian

I need to do the same thing to one of my downriggers.

I talked to the guy who does the Scotty work at Tyee Marine in Campbell River last time I had them in for repairs. They have the wire in stock and can replace them. You should be able to get the length you need that way. Can't recall what the cost was to do it though.

If you do it yourself, try upsizing the wire if that is possible as they do draw a fair bit of current when lifting 15 pound weights.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

I extended the wiring on mine. I used marine quality tinned wire at 10 gauge, exposed the both neg and pos wires coming off the downrigger, inserted a 3 inch log heat shrink tube over the one end and slid it down out of the way (make sure it is sized correctly), crimped a yellow butt connector on each end of wire, crimped the new wires onto the other ends of the butt connectors, slid the heat shrink tube over the exposed wire and connectors (make sure you have approx 1/2 covering the external coating on each side, heat shrink, done. 12 gauge with the smaller butt connectors would work if the wire length is not long.

Back