Escalating price of boats?!

RiverBoy

Has anyone noticed the price of boats seem to be on the rise? Or am I just out of the loop? For example, I think it's crazy to pay 12000-15000 for a 16' boat with 50hp or smaller power.Yet, I've seen it time and time again. I've been scouring CL for some time now looking to upgrade in size, and I'm just blown away with how pricey things are getting. $ 12000 for a whaler knockoff with two stroke power? Wow...
I have a 17' Campion Explorer Center Console with Yamaha 90 hp 4 stroke 300 hours. Lowrance GPS , twin electrics riggers etc.plus a Yamaha 8hp four stroke kicker with no hours. I was hoping to get around 10500. Based on the garbage I'm looking at on CL maybe that's too cheap?!
Any thoughts would be appreciated...

Oh and no disrespect to the guys selling boats on here. I'm mainly referring to the general boat pricing on Craigslist:(

You havent mentioned the years of the boats and motors, thats the main factor in considering value, even before HP or length. I have a 24' Campion with 300hp I would love to get 6,000 for

I'm mainly referring to boats similar to mine. Center console boats in the 17' range, whalers, surf whalers, Telosky whalers Double Eagles, in the late eighties to mid nineties range.

I thought boats were getting cheaper, waaay more sellers then buyers right now. I think a lot of people ask for a lot more money then they will actually take.

In my case, I have a boat for sale that is in show room condition, with a motor under 100 hours. It still has the new boat smell lol.

To buy the same model new with freight, taxes and all the accessories like new down riggers, covers, tops etc you will pay 23,000.

I can save someone 8000 and get them into practically a new boat.

By the way, sincere thanks for starting a new thread here instead of on my ad, it's a classy move:)

The 25-35 footer deep V hulls with the big V-8 inboards are the cheapest of all to buy. No demand for them because maintenance and fuel costs are beyond the reach of most folks. Even the ones in great condition are peanuts. I can see diesels and displacement hulls for a great many of us in the future given the continuous upward trajectory of fuel prices. That's okay - it's trolling speed that matters anyway!

Back