Elk River (Vancouver Island)

Scott K

I’m planning on fishing the Elk river on VI for trout sometime in early June if all goes well. I’m planning on doing a walk n wade trip but was wondering how it is to float on a pontoon if anyone has done it? I’ve heard there is a class 2-2+ paddling section from the Drum creek confluence down to as far as you want to go, take out access permitting. I know it would be river level dependent. Thanks.

Elk River in June is usually a pretty small river. Clear flowing with lots of trout and anglers. Last time I fished it there were many log jams. Lots of foot access being parallel to the hwy. Your biggest obstacle drifting is likely angry flyfishers. I would suggest you don't do it, especially the lower half.

Elk River in June is usually a pretty small river. Clear flowing with lots of trout and anglers. Last time I fished it there were many log jams. Lots of foot access being parallel to the hwy. Your biggest obstacle drifting is likely angry flyfishers. I would suggest you don't do it, especially the lower half.
Thanks for the honest assessment.

The google satellite view is pretty representative of what you will be looking at. I'm sure this winters weather has moved things around a bit. It's a fun fishery. More numbers than any fish of size. Mostly spawning rainbows under 12" with the occasion cutthroat. Good place to take beginner flyfishers.
There's a few bush camp spots, but we usually camp at the Buttle Lake Campground 15 mins away. Comfortable and secure.

Is the Elk River fly fishing only? Are spinning rods aloud? Thanks.

It is fly-fishing only and it would be difficult to cast a fly using a spinning rod, considering you cannot use weight or strike indicators or anything other than a fly on your line.

Technically I suppose spinning rods are allowed, but obviously useless.

Take care.

It is fly-fishing only and it would be difficult to cast a fly using a spinning rod, considering you cannot use weight or strike indicators or anything other than a fly on your line.

Technically I suppose spinning rods are allowed, but obviously useless.

Take care.

Dave, have you considered that this guy could very well be one those purist "all tippet" fishers?

The Elk is a riot to fly fish, watch them come up to hit a dry fly, almost set your watch on the fish entering, its sight fishing at it finest, no need to drift it

I find it ironic that there is a thread about how great it is to catch 10-12 inch spawners getting great interest, while a thread about the demise of a river with 30lb steelhead gets little interest.

I find it ironic that there is a thread about how great it is to catch 10-12 inch spawners getting great interest, while a thread about the demise of a river with 30lb steelhead gets little interest.

It is great fun to catch a trout,
try it you might like it...
Nice derail though

FYI I was fly fishing for trout all day yesterday. Historically in Feb I would have had my pick of steelhead rivers to fish from. I guess we need a recovery plan for ECVI too. I would ask you to try and catch a Thompson steelhead as you might like that too but that will never happen again.

Last edited:
Are you talking about the Gold? I miss the Gold. Part of this trip for me to the Elk is to be closer to the River and Town of Gold River seeing as how I can’t fish it. Also visit a friend in Campbell River, and check the old fishing/stomping grounds from when I was a kid on the Quinsam & Campbell rivers.

I’m not sure what can be done to help the Gold. We don’t know where the bottleneck(s) are do we?

I can relate to that,,,,I still venture over to the gold once in a while just to be there,,,,but now I take my gold pan instead of my rod..............sad times indeed

Gold panning...cool! I bit hard on some clickbait on youtube a month or so ago.....Dan Hurd Prospecting YT channel - you may already know about it? Never was interested in gold panning til I saw his channel, very interesting guy, very engaging (he's also a teacher). Another reason to spend time near a river lol.

Back