Electric vs pump toilet

Hi guys, I am looking for insight on electric toilets. I have a manual one now and its ok when it works, but seems like I need to do the valve gaskets every year. Sounds like the electric is less maintenance, am I right?

Hi guys, I am looking for insight on electric toilets. I have a manual one now and its ok when it works, but seems like I need to do the valve gaskets every year. Sounds like the electric is less maintenance, am I right?
Electric ones seize up, if they sit, need to be used a lot, or flush it all the time, no gasket issues really, mine is raw water, fresh water probably better

Last edited:
Thanks for your input Brutus. I would imagine if your in salt water all the time it would be difficult to flush it out with fresh water consistently. Good point….

electric is soo much better. you can flush them with a 3 way valve from your freshwater tank.

If you want really low maintenance apparently the incinerating toilets are the way to go. The trade off is either extra electricity or propane, but I've never heard anyone who had one say anything bad about them. No need for water, waste tank, pumps etc. Just the need to feed it about 1kWh of power per use and you have to empty an ash tray every few uses. I've never used one, but they're an interesting option for bigger boats.

Im on the ocean only for a week at a time and I always take boat out on fresh water when I get home every time. I flush out every pump so that salt doesn’t sit in my pumps for an extended period. My buddy had an incinerator toilet and he always had it in pieces on his table. Meh. 🫤 good in theory I think.

Back