Electric fishing reel.... legal in BC?

garyh

Are electric fishing reels legal. I would like to use one for trolling from a 14' rowed Hand Troller with a 1 Kg. weight , no line release. i.e. meat line.

Are electric fishing reels legal. I would like to use one for trolling from a 14' rowed Hand Troller with a 1 Kg. weight , no line release. i.e. meat line.
great question.
I would say "legal"
1 kg is 2.2 pounds. 2 pounds is legal for hali fishing

Welcome to the forum. You will find a bounty of info in the past threads. Try the search function and I am sure you will find everything you need. I know it's been discussed before.

Folks here a great wealth of knowledge, and will help if you can't find what your looking for.

(Yes they're legal. It's the weight you have to watch. Absolute rediculus regulation. Make your own weights and stamp with 2lbs. Problem solved. Or just ignore it. I have never had DFO care or question my weights used. Typically they are more interested on what you caught & how many individual baited hooks you use. )

Where are you fishing? What depths are you trying to target? I strongly recommend looking into jigging. It's a blast and NO riggers needed. I have jigged up salmon in 220' on a flat fall. When you start to get jigging dialed in you can be on fire. A prime example is @spring fever
He is a machine with the jigs now. That man put his time in last summer & stayed at it. I seen him stick with it when he could have slayed them with a downrigger. Didn't take long for him to become just as dangerous with a jig.

Last edited:
Divers work well too without the need for weights.

I have caught lots of coho and even Chinook with a $20 dipsy diver from trotac. I use a line counter reel and braided line to estimate my set depth.

mad for electric reels yes you can use them. I use a tanacom 750 for halibut fishing down to 300 feet or more

I also have a Tanacom 750 for Halibut. After a 3 inch cancer tumor in my back ate away part of two vertebrae, (one of which collapsed) and also part of a rib, I can't handle the hours of up and down to check bait and for the release of dogs and rat fish. The Tanacom often makes it possible for me to play a Hali manually, because I am not messed up from the many up and downs from 300 plus feet. I am still sore and messed up once the Halibut is in the boat, but so far it is worth it.

Back