Eating fish from Victoria area lakes

• Thread starter Thread starter Crys
  • Start date Start date
C

Crys

Hello all,

This may seem like an odd question, but are there any Victoria area lakes you would avoid eating any fish caught from them?

Thanks in advance,
-Crys.

Yes. Prospect Lake. Elk and others I have no problem but I'm skittish with Langford as well. Too many septic tanks at Langford and Prospect for my liking.

Elk I wonder a bit about but I have eaten fish from there.

Yes. Prospect Lake. Elk and others I have no problem but I'm skittish with Langford as well. Too many septic tanks at Langford and Prospect for my liking.

Elk I wonder a bit about but I have eaten fish from there.

I eat the fish from elk and prospect lake. the fish are good and i have never had a problem. go fish and enjoy your catch

we pulled 1 outta langford yesterday am. Looked good. smoking it as we speek

Hello to all. I've fished all the lakes around Victoria and have found that the fish are best to eat when they are caught in the Spring or in the winter months. I have also caught trout in the summer but I find that the fish tend to take on a weedy taste. I don't think this is a health issue but I prefer to release summer caught fish.

As a chef, I would recommend first you cook it fully to 150 F internal temp or better. That will destroy any bacteria that may be in the fish, that may have permeated from Septic runoff in the water table. You are actually at a greater risk of bacterial contamination in fish where there is alot of fowl such as Geese present, than you are to Septic Tanks.

If you catch one in the Victoria area, or any lake for that matter that has three eyes, chuck it back or keep it for a C.O. These are only a delicacy in Springfield.

I fish Prospect Lake/Elk Lake once a while. catching trout/eating trout is no problem. clean the fish, wash the fish, fry the fish on the pan with butter.

Prospect Lake and Elk Lake produce good size trout for eating.:D

Hang tight there bro. Unless you are eating fish from lakes that are creek fed(ie. Cowichan, Campbell, Sproat, Cameron etc.)you will beleive you are eating someones old jymsock. The fish from Elk, Prospect, Langford are terrible. No amount of seasoning could cover the muddy taste for me. Leave the fish to be caught another day. Eat the fish from the other lakes I spoke of. They taste as if they were sea run. Very mild and fresh.

............I'm not kidding.

Back