East Sooke boating

SSOGI

Good Morning Everyone.

Me and my wife are planning to visit east sooke in several weeks.
Is east sooke park area safe enough for an inflatable boat (14ft) with a 20 hp?

We are planning to launch at cheanuh marina and try some fishing as well.
I've hiked and fished many times at the beechy head area in the past, but never been on a boat.

Thank you

Last edited:
Be cautious of Beechy head when current and wind are opposite of each other, particularly the west winds common on summer afternoons blowing against the ebb current. The waves will stack up. Fog is common in August also. It’s a great stretch of coastline, enjoy!

those turkey vultures like riding the updraft winds there - fun to watch

Sooke basin is also great to explore in a small boat. You can launch small boats in Anderson cove on a high tide, and it’s great to anchor and swim as the water gets really warm in Anderson cove. Lots of crab in the basin as well.

We were out off Sooke today and you would have been just fine anywhere in JDF. The wind was glass calm and very little tide action current all day and that little current is very much a rarity. There was also unlimited visibility and modest boat traffic.

We observed three adventitious souls kilometers offshore in five hundred feet of water column in kayaks. Weather (wind) and current is the key to safety in small boats in JDF. Check the wind and current reports and move in and closer to your home port if you sense the wind building.The other thing to consider is that on a hot day like today it can actually be windier in Sooke basin than it is out in JDF where it can be glass but in the basin the air rising on the hot land sucks the colder air off the water in the afternoon and creates local wind, it could be a little bumpy but nothing that should be a problem for you.

One final thing to remember for this area is that August is affectionately referred to as Fogust by the locals and it sometimes comes up thick and fast. Our primary salmon fishery should finally open August 1st which means there will be a lot of boats out there that have been waiting for months to finally fish. There is a possibility that you could find yourself with almost no visibility and a great many boats around and besides the fishermen the big whale watching boats go very fast with 100 foot rooster tails behind them like ocean racers. If you are going to be out in the fog you will want a good gps chartplotter navigation unit, running lights and a compass. You will want to be comfortable around lots of boats in thick fog if you are going to venture out in the fog. If you are not comfortable in it and you see it rolling in, head for home. If you want to be out in it, a small tube type radar reflector may a good idea as I suspect a very low rubber boat full of air does not have the best radar signature . It is not that common for the fog to come up out of nowhere and not give you time to go in so don't be afraid of it. If it is going to be a foggy day you will usually know early and it can sometimes burn off with the sun mid day but it can also hang around thick all day.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input guys!!
I really appreciate it:)
Cant wait to explore the area in a small vessel!!

Hey there SSOGI. I keep my boat in Cheanuh. If your looking to get out for a fish while your here i'd be happy to take you and your wife out. Not a huge boat (19.5 Podded Double Eagle) but might be a bit more comfortable (and safer) than your 14.
I'll probably be out twice a week for the next bit and i fish solo a lot so let me know if your interested. Happy to help out.....

Back