Dundas Island

KCD

I'm going to try to get to Dundas Island this year for the first time from PR. We have a 26' Pacific Cruiser all set up with all required safety gear and then some. Just wondering what the most frequent route people take to get to the north end of Dundas. Thanks.

From what I've seen as straight as a crow flies if you can.
45 mile trip they say.
Our boat is quite a bit smaller and we will be picking our days to get there and back.
My mistake, I have this trip on my charts and it's comes in at 33 miles from P.R.

Last edited:
Reactions: KCD
Head through metlakatla and then it's a straight shot north from there. You'll have no problem in your boat. We run up there in my 20ft harbourcraft all the time (weather permitting).

Made the trip a few times and most times it's not too bad. But choose your days according to weather as it can get ugly. Remember one fairly good sized boat having it's windshield blown out from a wave on one trip out. there are usually places all along the route where one should be able to get out of the weather if necessary and wait it out. So make sure you have a map or have a look at finding those places so you get familiar with them just in case... It's almost always calmer (and much shorter) going up the inside rather than the outside of Melville and Dunira. But have seen it get ugly by the lighthouse on the island just before making the turn around the north end of Dundas. We usually go up to the work channel on the inside and stay relatively close to shore. (watch for nets anchored to shore) then cut across to the end of dundas. Good anchoring in the long inlet at the end of Dundas...

I'm going to try to get to Dundas Island this year for the first time from PR. We have a 26' Pacific Cruiser all set up with all required safety gear and then some. Just wondering what the most frequent route people take to get to the north end of Dundas. Thanks.
When are you going?

You guys should have great fishing around then. The coho start showing up the 2nd and 3rd week of July and there are still plenty of Springs around. There are heaps of places to fish all the way up from South Melville to dundas. You can even try heading over to Indian Head at the mouth of The Work if the fishing is slow around dundas(shouldn't be). Lots of groundfish opportunities all around that area too. You guys should have a great trip.

Back