Duel Trailer Flat Helper or ramp

spring fever

Came out of the Gold River ramp and got a nail in the right rear tire on my dual boat trailer. No fun-dripping wet boat that weighs 8000 lbs and it's in the mud. Filthy job and a downer after a great trip. Heard about these ramps that the horse ladies use-you just drive your good wheel up a set of ramps and if it's high enough it raises the flat wheel clear enough to change the tire -no jacking!! Made of plastic-one size raises a wheel 41/2 inches-big size or RV plus size raises it 51/2 inches (might be enough). Sold at Cabela's-around $60. I wasn't sure if 51/2 inches would be enough and would it be strong enough ? Made it myself in 20 min. out of full dimension lumber 2X8 so I have a full 6 inch rise which clears the flat wheel by about 1 to 11/2 inches more than I need. Changing a wheel is so easy -I can't believe it!!!

Attachments

• DSC01187.jpg
    DSC01187.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 406
  • DSC01188.jpg
    DSC01188.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 382
Last edited by a moderator:
A picture is worth a thousand words. I have been thinking of making something like this. It would make changing a flat tire a lot faster than getting the jack out. What are the other dimensions, i.e the length of each layer?
Thanks

Great idea that everyone will use eventually. I also dab each wheel bolt with marine grade never seize each spring....just like outboards....if neglected a simple job of re and re becomes a struggle just to get past the 1st re.

Ramp Build method

Try to use full dimension lumber as you won't get as much height with dressed. Put a piece of 3/4 ply under the ramp if this is so.
1st step-2x8x32 inches 2nd step-2x8x23" 3rd step 2x8x14". Cut a 45degree bevel at one end of each plank(30 degree would be better).
Without screwing them together place beside your wheels-see if the front wheel could rest on the top step without the rear wheel starting up the ramp. If this is so -screw and glue it together as shown-if not adjust the length of the boards so the wheel is clear. Sand the bevels with a belt sander to get a bit shallower angle, Make a rope loop for a handle and using fence staples nail in place.

Method-if you have a rear wheel flat-loosen your lug nuts-place ramp in front of good tire-drive slowly up the ramp til at the top. Stop-put on parking brake -chock the far side trailer wheels (important)-do not get under the trailer for any reason!!!! remove and replace wheel. Remove chocks-back off ramp-retighten lugs> If front wheel is flat place ramp behind the back wheel and back up the ramp. Good to go!!

Attachments

• DSC01188.jpg
    DSC01188.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 269
  • DSC01187.jpg
    DSC01187.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 274
Last edited by a moderator:
SF, I also made up a ramp copying what camping world sell. Have'nt had to use it, but did try it in the driveway on my 5th wheel. Sure is easier than a jack

Bruce

You're 99 % close to perfect. Tack a piece of 2 x 8 vertical on the end as a "stopper". that way you don't run off, and have the ramp wedge against the flat tire.

Otherwise, a lot easier than trying to shimmy my bottle jack under the axle to get the height needed for a tire change!!!

Drewski
Drewski

You're 99 % close to perfect. Tack a piece of 2 x 8 vertical on the end as a "stopper". that way you don't run off, and have the ramp wedge against the flat tire.

Otherwise, a lot easier than trying to shimmy my bottle jack under the axle to get the height needed for a tire change!!!

Drewski
Drewski

Good idea-might be worth doing.

Back