Drift jigging ???

walleyes

Crew Member
Was just watching a program on the tube and the boys were drift jigging for Chinook.. They were in the Barkley Sound area they didn't give specifics as usual.. But they did latch on to some nice fish. The problem is is they never went into much detail on what the process was.. It looked quite interesting having a 30# slab hit a light set up at 10 pulls,, that fish had some good runs.. By the sounds of it they were out there during June ??? but I'm not sure...

So whats up with this technique ?? Must be some guys out there that have played with it and or still do.. Where could a guy get into some of it and giver er a try...

Jigging can be a lot of fun, but a lot of work too. The actual technique varies from one guy to another (basically jig up and let the lure fultter down - most fish hit on the way down - but the key is being on top of the fish. In areas like Barclay the fish can tend to show up in particular spots day after day so they can be reasonably easy to locate. Other areas the fish move around a lot more and you need to follow the bait and stay on top of it.

Buzz bombs, sting zelda, perkins are all good depending on time of year and species. Lighter lures for shallower jigging, heavier lures for deep water (Striker lures are great for really deep water if you can find any.) I typically jig straight down and stay within 20 feet or so of the bottom regardless of the depth.

Oh, and, don't expect the trolling sporties to think you're too funny if you park in front of them or stay in their way on top of a particularily good spot :)

It's great for the kids as you tend to catch many species. When you get onto it you'll catch lots of salmon.

Happy jigging

I use this technique a lot. I fish the usual tacks in the morning, teaching bait and spoons to swim while trolling, but once the bait moves off, I usually go cruising around looking for bait amoungst the rocks, reefs and other places it would be tough to troll in.

My fav lure is a pearl 2.5 oz Zingger or a 2 oz silver pirken bent in a certain way to creat a darting spinning action. Drop it down in free spool, keeping thumb tension on the reel and watch the line. If the line stops moving before you think you are the right depth, reel and hit, then hang on!!!! When you find feed, jig all around the feed, especially on the bottom of it. Raise your rod about 18"-24" in a rather quick jerk, then snap the rod back down to allow the lure to free fall. keep and eye on your line, and if the line does not go tight, reel up, set the hook and have fun. Fish usually hit the lure as it flutters down.

It is a great way to fish and have fun.

Jigging was all I did (as well as almost all the locals) in the Cortes Island area...buzz bombs or stingzeldas usually in 30' of water or just off the bottom did the trick. The trick really is finding a place not owned by trollers and with little current. Cortes was perfect in that way. Hit a school one day in an area never fished (heard rumor fish were there and checked it out)...EVERY time I dropped down 30' I had one on (not a fish story either!)...only thing that sucked was the seals also caught wind of this and I believe I hooked into 4 seals...had to run back to the dock when I ran out of line, but that day, lost like a 25 10 couple around 8, and took home 2 15's...no flashers, no weights...just me and the fish.

Miss those days!

If you ever had intention of being up that way, just tell me and I'll point out my main spots (keeping in mind its nothing like it was 10-15 years ago there now)....

Thx guys,,, definetly looks like something I have to try in the near future.. Just have to get myself in the rite place..

Thx guys,,, definetly looks like something I have to try in the near future.. Just have to get myself in the rite place..

jigging can be fun but also a lot of work. the most popular lure down in the puget sound area is a point wilson dart it resembles candlefish and they work well. try jigging and have some fun.

jigging can be fun but also a lot of work. the most popular lure down in the puget sound area is a point wilson dart it resembles candlefish and they work well. try jigging and have some fun.

IMO its really only gonna work when you have large concentrations of fish, like you used to have 10,20,30 years ago when the technique was popular.

I'm sure there are times when it can work but there is a reason most guys troll.

IMO its really only gonna work when you have large concentrations of fish, like you used to have 10,20,30 years ago when the technique was popular.

I'm sure there are times when it can work but there is a reason most guys troll.

also, many guys still fish 'the hump' off quadra island jigging point wilsons...may even be more popular than trolling there too.

also, many guys still fish 'the hump' off quadra island jigging point wilsons...may even be more popular than trolling there too.

The Canadian Pricess boats out of Ucluelet use jigging exclusively
If you ever fish beside them you can tell it is quite effective.
They are usually rookies as well, but still catch fish

The Canadian Pricess boats out of Ucluelet use jigging exclusively
If you ever fish beside them you can tell it is quite effective.
They are usually rookies as well, but still catch fish

drift jigging can be very productive but you have to find the fish. otherwise, it can be an arm killer.

if you're jigging for big fish, make sure that your line doesn't twist up or when the fish starts pulling it will just break off. i use a swivel about 3 feet from the buzzbomb or zilda. It makes it tough to cast accurately if see a fish roll, but it keeps the integrity of the line.

lots of fun last year.

drift jigging can be very productive but you have to find the fish. otherwise, it can be an arm killer.

if you're jigging for big fish, make sure that your line doesn't twist up or when the fish starts pulling it will just break off. i use a swivel about 3 feet from the buzzbomb or zilda. It makes it tough to cast accurately if see a fish roll, but it keeps the integrity of the line.

lots of fun last year.

Has anybody tried the new butterfly jigs. I went to a seminar last weekend and the speaker said they don't flutter on the drop like conventional jigs. They drop straight but dart and flutter on the rise, just the opposite of what we're used to.

Has anybody tried the new butterfly jigs. I went to a seminar last weekend and the speaker said they don't flutter on the drop like conventional jigs. They drop straight but dart and flutter on the rise, just the opposite of what we're used to.

Been on the Can. Princess boats. They find the bait balls and then hover and start jigging. If the fish are there then great but it can be very slow though. Morre fun when going for halibut on the banks!

Been on the Can. Princess boats. They find the bait balls and then hover and start jigging. If the fish are there then great but it can be very slow though. Morre fun when going for halibut on the banks!

Back