Drain Plug - Inside or Outside?

Saxe Point

What's best? I have an inside one (with a ring/hoop to open & close it), but it's a real pain to reach behind the gas tanks etc. to take it out & put it in. I have a bilge pump, but it's nice to pull that plug while the boat is on the trailer to drain that last bit and let things dry out. It would be much easier to do from the outside once the boat is pulled out of the water, as I think I have seen some guys do.

Can I use an outside one? Is it the same type? Boat is a 1986 Double Eagle 16 I got a few years ago.

An internet search shows some guys think outside is nuts because the plug can get pulled out while underway. Others say the water pressure from the outside only helps to keep an outside plug from coming out while in the water. They say the inside plug is crazy, unless it's a small boat without a bilge pump, in which case you pull it from the inside while on plane to let the water drain, and then put it back.

What's the consensus here for BC ocean fishermen (if there is one)?

What's best?
Can I use an outside one? Is it the same type? Boat is a 1986 Double Eagle 16 I got a few years ago.
They say the inside plug is crazy, unless it's a small boat without a bilge pump, in which case you pull it from the inside while on plane to let the water drain, and then put it back.
What's the consensus here for BC ocean fishermen (if there is one)?

Never had a plug inside. My last two boats and my current boat, the plug would be unreachable from inside. Brass, screw-in from outside.
Either way, like belly buttons - plug in is better; before you go out! (I think we've all made that mistake - once.)

I had a plug on the inside in my Cope and I wouldn't have one on the outside. If it is hard to reach then make it not so hard to reach IMO. Inside just makes sense to me. I guess for some convenience a plug on the outside will work but I would have a back up that you could utilize inside the boat as well.

My Double Eagle had a plug on the outside. My current boat does as well..............

http://www.sea-dog.com/groups/2058-t-handle-drain-plug

20 years never had an issue.

Ok so 21 years and you have an issue. What are you going to do?

I'm just thinking safety over convenience here is all. Do you have some kind of back up like a plug laying in your bilge that you can put in from the inside if your outside plug fails for some minute reason. This is a good topic.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm just thinking safety over convenience here is all. Do you have some kind of back up like a plug laying in your bilge that you can put in from the inside if your outside plug fails for some minute reason. This is a good topic.

I'm with you on this one. If (and I'm still not sure) I switch from an inside to an outside plug, I will definitely have a spare plug in the bilge so I can quickly plug it if the outside one pops out. In fact, inside or out, a spare is a good idea - they probably cost around $5. Is snap on better than the twist on? I've only ever used the snap on (ring/hook) type.

I'm with you on this one. If (and I'm still not sure) I switch from an inside to an outside plug, I will definitely have a spare plug in the bilge so I can quickly plug it if the outside one pops out. In fact, inside or out, a spare is a good idea - they probably cost around $5. Is snap on better than the twist on? I've only ever used the snap on (ring/hook) type.

For inside I would say what ever is fastest. I used to use a cam lock type in my Cope. Lot's of folks have wooden plugs available for emergencies and they work great apparently (knock on wood I have never had to use them). A long tapered wood plug that you can jam in there quickly. From the inside (if moving) there isn't any force pushing against it so you can just ram it in with the palm of your hand. Obviously it is best to jam it in with something more substantial.

I know folks that have wooden plugs hanging next to every hole in the boat i.e. bilge pump out's, heater exhaust outlets, etc. Again I am just saying this stuff for safety sake not convenience. Still a great topic.

I favour outside access. I use a threaded brass plug that has a 5/16"? head on it (same size as the Soctty dowrigger nut). I finger tighten then give it a nudge with the wrench. I am not a huge fan of the rubber/cam lock style as I think they will loosen over time unless you install them correctly - which lots of people don't in the rush to launch.

I think you would be mad to be out without a spare. If things really hit the fan there is always a way to get a plug in, from the inside or out, even if that means getting wet. One can always throttle up and the water should run out but if there is too much water in the you might have already soaked your inboard or can't get up to speed to drain out.

Most people have forgotten to put it in...once.

I had one of the rubber cam lock plugs come out one time (got caught in some weeds) miles from the dock and that is not an experience I'd like to repeat. Current boat has the brass screw in type, on the outside, and I have no concerns that it could ever come out. Check it before launching and good to go.

The plug with the lever that you bend to a 90 is not a good idea on the outside. Not that hard for weeds to wrap around it and release it. They have the rubber type that you screw to squash the rubber and hold in there. This is a better option as far as rubber friction plugs on the outside. I would consider switching to a threaded plug assembly.

I've not heard of threaded bronze plugs failing; more likely they are forgotten (my experience, anyway.) It may also be that we over-estimate the water inflow with a transom plug missing:

If a small boat sits 12 inches in the water from water line to plug, the flow velocity is 8.5 ft. / sec. When the plug is 3/4" dia., that clear hole will allow a maximum of 702 gal. / hr. to enter the boat. This flow should be easily handled by a single bilge pump of 1200 g.p.h. capacity. At at 2 foot head, the flow is greater so now 990 gal. per hour are coming in. The boat sinks quicker as the water puts the boat deeper in the water.

David Pascoe ( http://www.yachtsurvey.com/bilge_pumps.htm ) suggests that even small vessels should have 2 pumps with a total capacity of about 3000 g.p.h. With a smaller pump, sinking will be a slow event. Even slower with an excited crew member on the bailing bucket. :eek:

Once again, good battery management and maintenance are critical to the safe operation of any vessel. Perhaps check the pumps and switches now-and-again, as well.

I've not heard of threaded bronze plugs failing; more likely they are forgotten (my experience, anyway.) It may also be that we over-estimate the water inflow with a transom plug missing:

If a small boat sits 12 inches in the water from water line to plug, the flow velocity is 8.5 ft. / sec. When the plug is 3/4" dia., that clear hole will allow a maximum of 702 gal. / hr. to enter the boat. This flow should be easily handled by a single bilge pump of 1200 g.p.h. capacity. At at 2 foot head, the flow is greater so now 990 gal. per hour are coming in. The boat sinks quicker as the water puts the boat deeper in the water.

David Pascoe ( http://www.yachtsurvey.com/bilge_pumps.htm ) suggests that even small vessels should have 2 pumps with a total capacity of about 3000 g.p.h. With a smaller pump, sinking will be a slow event. Even slower with an excited crew member on the bailing bucket. :eek:

Once again, good battery management and maintenance are critical to the safe operation of any vessel. Perhaps check the pumps and switches now-and-again, as well.

Good advice on the two bilge pumps-- I can get at my plug from the inside, and would have to beach in order to get at it from the outside (brass twist in) so a second pump is a good option

Inside Only....I had to get in the water a year ago to pull the plug on my boat after listening to another member here tell me to put it on the out side.... Never Ever Again

The plug with the lever that you bend to a 90 is not a good idea on the outside. Not that hard for weeds to wrap around it and release it. They have the rubber type that you screw to squash the rubber and hold in there. This is a better option as far as rubber friction plugs on the outside. I would consider switching to a threaded plug assembly.

Inside or outside for you Dave?

While I don't have a boat of the size where this is a question, a spare plug can never hurt.

For my 14ft tinny, I have a spare plug (screw type) in my toolkit and, believe it or not, I have a synthetic wine cork and traditional wine cork thrown in there for good measure.

For this boat, there isn't a bilge, so I want to be darn sure I can plug the hole somehow! I also have a kayak pump and hand bailer (old juice pitcher w handle, aka impromptu pee-bucket) for emergency too.

A tapered rubber cork would probably work, and you could probably tap it into place quite firmly if needed.

Something like this perhaps:

http://www.science-house.com/Rubber.html

The ad says soft rubber, but I'm sure something firmer is easily found.

Interesting thread!

Inside Only....I had to get in the water a year ago to pull the plug on my boat after listening to another member here tell me to put it on the out side.... Never Ever Again

Alrighty then! ;-) Awesome - however, the transom plugs on many boat are absolutely NOT accessible from inside - my current boat and my previous one: a 17' Malibu Tyee, for example. Anyone that could get at it from inside would be a double-jointed, midget contortionist. I only remove the transom plug once the boat's on the trailer - otherwise I use the bilge pump for the wee bit of water that finds its way into the bilge (self-bailing cockpit). Just one other point of view to consider...

For inside I would say what ever is fastest. I used to use a cam lock type in my Cope. Lot's of folks have wooden plugs available for emergencies and they work great apparently (knock on wood I have never had to use them). A long tapered wood plug that you can jam in there quickly. From the inside (if moving) there isn't any force pushing against it so you can just ram it in with the palm of your hand. Obviously it is best to jam it in with something more substantial.

I know folks that have wooden plugs hanging next to every hole in the boat i.e. bilge pump out's, heater exhaust outlets, etc. Again I am just saying this stuff for safety sake not convenience. Still a great topic.
Sculpin brings up a great point not only should we worry about drain plugs, but also any thou hull fittings and the idea of hanging the plug beside the fitting is great advice. I for one will be checking all my thou hall fittings and getting the proper size plugs to go with them.

Do tell us why you would need to do that.
I really what to know and I'm not BS you.
GLG

Back