Drain plug for aluminum boat

Hagar

I have a silver streak boat that comes with a plastic plug that’s threaded into back of my pod. I was wondering if anyone with a aluminum boat has the same type of plug. I have already broken 2 plugs inside probably due to my own fault and had to cut them out damaging the soft aluminum threads. To me this seems like a poor system. What do other aluminum boat owners use? .Yes I know about the different metal issue.

Why are you removing the plug in a pod anyway? Should use a drill bit and a tap to remove the broken plug

Last edited:
Have Lifetimer with a nylon plug. Called Lifetimer last month to ask, and they said to stick with nylon.

Recently replaced the plug - Lifetimer shop in Duncan has them for cheap if it fits your boat. Call them for measurements.

My boat lives in the water so I just paint over my plug and never use it. (Lifetimer ok'ed painting/epoxying over it)

Good luck.

The plug is a hollow plug with a hex head the problem is the hex end has been snapping off leaving the hollow threaded end in the drain hole. Probably a threaded aluminum would be the best, or maybe the rubber bung type would be the easiest fix. I will have to call SS to see if they can do a threaded aluminum plug. Thanks everyone.

I have a North River with a pod. It had a slotted screw head witch was a pain in the arse to remove. I didn't realize when I first got the boat how much water got trapped in the pod on every outing. I only un did every 5 or 6 times. I soon realized how much extra weight in water I was carrying but didn't like the screw situation. I was at either Cabelas or Bass Pro one day and noticed this threaded plug which when undone just hangs there. I don't have a photo handy unfortunately. I also don't know if its plastic or nylon. I did however purchase it. Because of the proximity of the hole to the bottom back of the transom and the angle of the pod I had to extend the hole of the pod down. This is hard to explain. I will try to take a photo over the next couple of days. In any case, I glued in an aluminum spacer then put the plug in place. Best thing I ever did. it is now routine, after taking the boat out of the water I remove the boat plug and unscrew the pod plug. It just hangs there, the water drains out and the pod dries over the week. Time to put the boat in the water, no looking for the plug, its right there. Just screw it in and put the boat plug in. This needs a photo to fully comprehend. So glad I bought it and installed it.

I have a Lifetimer I had built in 2006, and I am on my second nylon plug. It comes out every time the boat comes off the ramp, that is likely in the hundreds. I tighten it and remove it with the screwdriver attachment on my Swiss Army knife, so it is never that tight. It has never leaked, or given me a bit of trouble.

The drain is just a half inch aluminum conduit coupling that they weld into a hole they bored through the transom. I asked them to weld on a half of a coupling high up on the transom to hold the plug, so I remembered before launching, and didn’t have to search for the plug. So far, so good. I have yet to launch without a plug installed, but who knows, life is not over yet.

I think the key is not trying to insert something harder or incompatible with the aluminum. There is no need to force the treading. If it leaked a few drops an hour, does it matter? Nylon in to aluminum is great. Should last forever without an intervention.

Attachments

• EA594BF3-00E9-4FE5-8652-08482090383B.jpeg
    EA594BF3-00E9-4FE5-8652-08482090383B.jpeg
    182.5 KB · Views: 63
I have a Lifetimer I had built in 2006, and I am on my second nylon plug. It comes out every time the boat comes off the ramp, that is likely in the hundreds. I tighten it and remove it with the screwdriver attachment on my Swiss Army knife, so it is never that tight. It has never leaked, or given me a bit of trouble.

The drain is just a half inch aluminum conduit coupling that they weld into a hole they bored through the transom. I asked them to weld on a half of a coupling high up on the transom to hold the plug, so I remembered before launching, and didn’t have to search for the plug. So far, so good. I have yet to launch without a plug installed, but who knows, life is not over yet.

I think the key is not trying to insert something harder or incompatible with the aluminum. There is no need to force the treading. If it leaked a few drops an hour, does it matter? Nylon in to aluminum is great. Should last forever without an intervention.
Nice one, how long is your Lifetimer?

My boat already had a 1/2" diameter , 4" length aluminum tube already welded in. I actually put a plug on both the inside and the outside of the Drain tube. I also keep it in the drink for month at a time.

I have a Silver Streak too and my plastic hex plug had some serious wear on it to the point of near breaking. Walked it into Slegg and picked up the same size in the plumbing department with some o rings. Works exactly the same and a 3 buck fix. Now I use a socket wrench to remove the plug, which reduces wear. Not a great system by the boys in Sooke but not a huge deal either.

I have a Silver Streak and replaced the nylon plug with an aluminum plug i got from amazon -

Aluminum 3/4 NPT Male Thread Allen Head Socket Pipe Plug Hex Black Anodized Pack of 2​

The allen head is nice.

Nice one, how long is your Lifetimer?

My boat already had a 1/2" diameter , 4" length aluminum tube already welded in. I actually put a plug on both the inside and the outside of the Drain tube. I also keep it in the drink for month at a time.
Its a 2006 2200 Offshore. Twenty two feet thee inches overall. Its a centre console wet boat. If you know Lifetimer's, you know there is a storage space at the back, just a little longer than a battery is long, and sort of a sugarscoop style of stern behind that, so getting to the back inside of the stern is no small task. Getting to the bilge pumps is a chore. I also keep my boat in the water, I have annual moorage. I only take it out to fish on the west coast, or do cleaning and maintenance. Putting a plug on the inside is not an option, or required for me.

The coupling does not protrude out the back, or the inside. I am sure it is not more than one inch long.

This is the first year of annual moorage, and in the past, I kept the boat outside, in the back yard and kept the plug out, with a tarp over, but I had a few instances of tarp failure, or snow. Never a problem.

My aluminum boat came with a 316 stainless steel head plug for the bilge. Replacements available from fastenal, etc. was surprised it was stainless, but I guess 316 is supposed to be more corrosion resistant than others like 304 stainless. I use a lot of grease to ensure no damage to threads.

Having a backup available seems like a good idea after a beachgoer beside me lost his (how I don’t know) and was pumping and bailing just to get back across the lake to the boat launch.

My aluminum boat came with a 316 stainless steel head plug for the bilge. Replacements available from fastenal, etc. was surprised it was stainless, but I guess 316 is supposed to be more corrosion resistant than others like 304 stainless. I use a lot of grease to ensure no damage to threads.

Having a backup available seems like a good idea after a beachgoer beside me lost his (how I don’t know) and was pumping and bailing just to get back across the lake to the boat launch.
I would swap that out, you’ll end up with galvanic corrosion and have bigger problems.

Back