double eagle ?

the runt

My son found a 17-18 ft. double eagle in mint shape, very low hours under a 100.It has a johnson 115 for power.compass, fish finder,brands unknown.Stored in a barn for awhile,is it worth 6000.

I agree, as long as you are satisfied the motor is in reasonable shape, that's a good deal.Course, I could be biased cause I own a 171/2 foot Double Eagle.
T2

Awesome classic west coast boat and very popular and easy to resell.

Remember when you buy a used boat, "Your not buying the boat, your buying the motor". The motor is everything.

Watch out also for the early evinrude fisch fuel injected outboards starting around 1998. A mechanic told me they had 90% failure rate by the time 300 hrs came by so if it has an early fisch outboard, it has little more then spare parts value. If motor is good, take an awl and poke at the back of transom and floor, make sure they are solid. A floor is easy to replace, a transom much more work.

IMHO

;)

Hey Runt!
What vintage is this canoe?
As you likely know, Double Buzards are true westcoast boats. It amazes me what them lil boats are capable of.

I own a 98 115 Johnson Ficht and the mechanic told me the fuel pump is what can go but who knows when. There is an upgrade for the pump available. Suggest taking it to get hooked up to the mechanic's computer to tell exactly how many hours are on the motor and what could be wrong if anything.

At the price you mentionded and given the condition of the boat (what year is it?), I don't think you are paying too much for the motor. This is as it should be. My approuch would be to treat the motor as an unknown and not pay much for it in the calcualation of the total price. That said, you still go over the boat and the motor very carefully. If you're lucky, you don't pay much for the motor and it lasts for a long time. If you're less lucky and the motor goes sooner rather than later, you won't feel so bad if you didn't pay big bucks for the motor in the first place.

Great boat for fishing: lots of folks would jump all over it for the price and condition you describe, especially if it comes with a good trailer. Don't forget the trailer part of the deal. :)

Back