Double Eagle floor project

SteelyDan

So I have a 17.5 Double Eagle and I am planning on pulling the floor and Installing a new gas tank as I can smell fuel coming from the inspection port in the floor. The floor in the boat is currently sound but the Gas tank is suspect and I don't want that on my mind. So anyways, Have any of you fellow Double Eagle owners added fish boxes or additional storage Below the deck? While I am at it I would like to maximise my storage space. If anyone has some pics or would like to share how and wear they built their fish boxes/storage I would realy appreciate it! Another option that I am considering is getting rid of the camper seats currently in there and building coolers inside of new seat boxes... If anyone has some input on this I would also appreciate your input.

Also another question that comes to my mind is how important is it to have a water tight deck? Would there be issues associated with allowing some water to travel under the deck to a bilge to suck it out so long as I glass all of the stringers water tight? I am planning on sheeting the floor with 5/8" marine grade plywood and finishing it off with Marine grade Vinyl flooring wrapped a few inches up the sides of the boat. I was also thinking of making a drop in hatch atop of the new gas tank so it would be the last time I have to pull the floor up for the bloody gas tank. This hatch, being a drop in would not be water tight and this is wear some water would have the potential to enter under the deck if you catch my drift. Opinions fron the educated on this subject would also be appreciated as will pictures, Thanks!

Have you considered making all storage and fish boxes under floor and using portable tanks ?
never have to replace a gas tank again ?

Edit. I just checked the HIN number and its a 89 with a 02ish F100 Yamaha

Attachments

• Capital G-20110305-00023.jpg
    Capital G-20110305-00023.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 305
Last edited by a moderator:
Have you considered making all storage and fish boxes under floor and using portable tanks ?
never have to replace a gas tank again ?

That's not a bad idea considering that there is allot of space under the splashwell.

Attachments

• IMG-20110305-00021.jpg
    IMG-20110305-00021.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 302
the floor in my boat was redone completely water tight, however there was a removable drain plug into the bilge to drain any condensation that builds up under the floor. this may be an option for you.

If you go with portable tanks you are going to lose the stability the built in tank gives the boat. The weight with the built tank is low and in the middle of the boat vs portable tanks which add more weight to the stern, the boat will float differently.As for fish boxes I would go with portable ones, much easier to keep clean.

I'm now contemplating ordering an 18 gal bow tank from west marine and going all storage under the deck. I could keep a couple portables as well and make some kind of fuel quiclk connect at the stern to quickly switch over for those extra long trips. I think that it should counterballance nicely with another 10 gallons at the stern. I'm likeing this idea.

I did epoxy-soak and coat not only the new stringers in my boat but also the floor. And then glued the vinyl on top. Absolutely water proof. Wanted to ensure that no water ever will ever get to the wooden parts. It's expensive but built for life.
As for gas tanks, I moved 2 portable tanks to the bow storage (17.5' Campion) and it did change the floatation of the boat. But by adjusting the motor tilt and adding a spare battery to the stern and moving the downrigger balls and fishing gear to the back I got it rebalanced for a smooth ride.
As for a fish trough, I built a frame into the centre floor piece and have a removable SS trough to fit snugly in there with a removable lid on top. Keeps the fish cool and under the floor but can still take the trough out for cleaning. And once the trough is out you can access and inspect the entire space under the floor between the stringers. I also keep an emergency anchor, the bail bucket and some other rarely used items in this space under the floor between the stringers.

Just some ideas for you.

I'm with Hattrick, leave the fuel weight low in the stringer system. Once you have the floor removed you may find that you have room to add a fishbox and through hull/ scupper drain system. I would go with a aluminum tank with an access port for the sending unit. I would think an aluminum tank would outlive the rest of the boat.

I have a 17.2 Malibu Tyee which is very similar to the Double Eagle. It has a 30 gal tank in the floor and between the seats there is a fish locker. Personally I would stay away from day tanks - to much hassle filling and switching tanks when underway. I had to replace the fuel tank a few years back, but all I had to do was to remove the access panel - no cutting.

Wow, you guys would rather cut your floor apart to get out a leaking tank ?? :confused:
you'd never have to do that with portables.

I completely rebuilt a 17.5 Double Eagle two years ago. Ripped out the old floor, all the old foam and leaking aluminum tank. Stringers were very good as thery were all fiberglass enclased. I replaced the forward bulkhead, glassed in a platform for a 130 liter plastic gas tank, built and glassed an infloor fish well behind the rear bulkhead and built a new well at the transom. I put drainage plugs for the well and for the hull through the transom. I put in a 10 inch round inspection port ablove the tank sender unit and fuel shut-off valve. I routed the fuel filler and vent under the floor and up through the back right corner. You will get some condensation under the floor and do need a drain. The floor was 5/8 marine plywood, resin seale on the underside and matted with glass and then gelcoat on the top.

This appear to be working very well.

Recommendations:

If you are going to have removable access above the tank, I would seal the cover so that no water or dirt can get down into the bilge.

I would not put in the in floor fish well again. Because it is not sealed, water and dirt (especially when prawning or bottom fishing) leaks down into it and it is difficult to clean especially on extended trips to the West Coast. Last year I built a table/fish well attached to the large motor well that will hold three thirty pound springs and now seldom use the in floor well.

If you are looking for more specific into, let me know and I can get you some photos, etc.

On a slightly different topic. I am considering repowering my 17.5 Double Eagle with a four stroke. I am thinking that a 90 Hp or a 115 Hp Yamaha. Does anyone out there have thoughts on what is the better option?

Sounds like my project, Major. I however, do like the infloor fish hold as it also doubles as extra storage (trap lines,floats, etc).By location(at the water level) it also stays quite cool,especially if you insulate it. I have a plug in it that drains into the bilge well for easy flushing.
Two things I would recommend:
Coat everything in resin, and run some mat over it. Water will find its way into and around everything, so work around that idea.

Consider your layout and design to allow for future considerations. For example, adding pedestal seats is easier if you have the structure underneath to support them. How easy will it be to replace the fuel hose line to the tank?

Before and after pictures always make for a feel-good ending. I would like to see how it fares for you.

Back