Does Braid really have less blowback than (good) cable?

Blow back... Yes and No. If you buy the Scotty braid it is the same thickness of the cable so the blow back is the same. Another thing people do is buy too heavy of braid. (My Opinion) I have run 150lb power pro braid on my 1101's for 5 years (15lb balls) and never had issues with breaking. It has also cut through a lot of kelp on the west coast. It is thinner and cuts the water way better than the other 2 I mentioned. On the new 2106HP's it has scotty braid for now but I am planning on switching to 180lb power pro. Make sure the rigger drags are set up correctly so if you snag a ball you can back up and possible retrieve it. (No different than a reel) Have done that a few times with a buddy driving.... ;)

So went back to cable after two years on braided. The cable on our boat hums. It's actually so annoying that we're talking about going back the braided. I didnt remember it being so loud.

what speed you troll at? mine dosent hum till I get up to around 2.5 mph which is max for how I troll for nooks. I just got some spools of cannnon coated 150# wire. it is considerably thinner than the scotty version. cannon was .022 and the scotty was .034. powerpro 200# is .030

what speed you troll at? mine dosent hum till I get up to around 2.5 mph which is max for how I troll for nooks. I just got some spools of cannnon coated 150# wire. it is considerably thinner than the scotty version. cannon was .022 and the scotty was .034. powerpro 200# is .030
I troll roughly 3-6 km/h aiming for 4.5km/h but mainly use the cable angle as a guide. About 45 degrees. We just got new riggers. They came with cable. Our boat is aluminum. Balls are 15 or 18s and it doesn't make a difference what balls we use.

I troll roughly 3-6 km/h aiming for 4.5km/h but mainly use the cable angle as a guide. About 45 degrees. We just got new riggers. They came with cable. Our boat is aluminum. Balls are 15 or 18s and it doesn't make a difference what balls we use.
Yeah thinking back thats about humm speed. I notice much less humm in my f/g boat than I did in my alum. Less of a drum

I love the hum. That and the bubble size coming off the 150 super wire tells me i'm going the right speed for my leader lengths
In fact Big Jon downrigger company used to sell a device that added a hum to attract fish maybe they still do.

Back