does anything compare to an islander

W

wetbeaver

has anybody used any type of reel that compares to an islander? Looking for something in the same price range but not an islander. dont ask why i now that sounds silly!! Any feed back on the trophyXL or a hardy longstone?

I had a longstone for years then i tried an islander and bought one that winter.now i have two islanders i use all the time.I have tried the trophy xl also all i can say about them is you get what you pay for.
The only thing i have heard people say negative about the the islander is the out going clicker is to quiet.But that is a small price to pay for such a smooth real.But just my opinion.

I have a "Trophy XL" reel and I believe it is a very nice reel. I find the reel very smooth and I think it is as nice, if not nicer than the Islander in my opinion. Overall though if you dont take care of a reel it doesnt stay nice for very long so keep that in mind. Just my thoughts.:)

I too have a pair of the xl"s love them but as I had said earlier from the factory they are not greased so as soon as you get one take it apart and grease the clicker assembly with some good marine teflon grease spray the whole reel down with some lps 3 or corrosion block before you use it and wipe down I suggest these for any reel even shimano's it really helps protect them.

I personally after every day also spray down my reels,downriggers boat etc with fresh water and let the reels dry in the sun before putting them away and every couple of weeks reapply more lps on them, its amazing how a little preventive matenance makes your gear last as I use them every day had them for over 4 years now and still works great.

Good luck Wolf

Why dont you bring one of each in for the trip this weekend ?
Its the only way to find out .

I do have a couple of older longstones that I have had put islander handles put on them if any one wants to buy them there worn but work really well still I used to bring them out for myself to use as some quests have a problem with palming a reel thats why I switched to a drag type reel but still love the sound of a screaming longstone very very cool e-mail me if anybody wants them offers!!!

Wolf

Hey wolf whats your E-Mail address? As Iam interested in your longstones if price is right. Iam not a lover of Islander, had one, found the drag to be inconsistent and a mother to pick up line when the big one doubles back and runs back @ ya.

i have 2 templefork tfo mooching reels . love them like wolf said re grease and you will be amazed at how nice and smooth they are . i like the tfo reels a bit better then the trophy but that just me . so nice 2 play a fish with a smooth cork drag. tight lines scottyboy

Not to hijack thread, but what type of grease do you use on your reels?
I've tried the "official" reel greases, but the reels seem to dry out in the summer heat. I've put on some white lithium automotive grease I got from Cdn Tire but not sure how it will hold up.
As I said, don't mean to hijack thread.
Tight lines.
Time (for ...)

I use a marine grease that you get from any merc dealer called TC-3 with teflon i use it for every thing on my boat its a yellowy color I think a tube is about 15 bucks but comes in handy for anything.

Good luck Wolf

Back