DIY Prawn Traps

cambrowne

With the price of prawn setups, and the risk of traps getting stolen/lost, I am looking at making a few square-style prawn traps to help save a few bucks.

I was able to find some pretty affordable vinyl-coated galvanized steel wire mesh. Around $100 for a 24" x 50' roll. I figure I can make 5 traps out of it. I know the wire mesh might not be as good as the Aquamesh stuff, but bulk 100ft rolls are over $400 from Aqua-Pacific.

I was planning on using zap straps instead of hog rings.

To me, it seems pretty straightforward, but wanted to see if anyone had experience with this, and if so, do you have any advice?

I have also seen the bucket style traps, but figure I would end up spending a similar amount in the end.

Tight lines,
Cam

A buddy of mine did this. He replicated the small Bauer traps using similar material. He did use the hog rings tho. He said with the tool they were super easy to affix.

The traps fair ok. They do rust a bit and do have some sharper edges but they work just as well.

Hope that helps.

A buddy of mine did this. He replicated the small Bauer traps using similar material. He did use the hog rings tho. He said with the tool they were super easy to affix.

The traps fair ok. They do rust a bit and do have some sharper edges but they work just as well.

Hope that helps.
Who carries the hog ring pliers and rings. TIA

Someone posted here about making Prawn traps out of rectangular buckets said they worked well enough.

Someone posted here about making Prawn traps out of rectangular buckets said they worked well enough.
I know a guy that has a place in Headquarters Bay and that's all he uses, says they are the best. I made a set in camp up the coast and they didn't produce but I don't know if there were even prawns around. Pretty cheap if you have an endless supply of empty buckets.

I know a guy that has a place in Headquarters Bay and that's all he uses, says they are the best. I made a set in camp up the coast and they didn't produce but I don't know if there were even prawns around. Pretty cheap if you have an endless supply of empty buckets.
What's the basic setup to make those?

I make same ones Bauer makes them/have everything, but its been years. The box ones were made in crofton/ladysmih area years by locals before Bauer made them. They just made a business out of them, and good for them. They are same trap made out of Aquamesh.

I am still on original set I made. I think cost wise aqua mesh/rings etc I was at $35.00 per small trap 18". Now because everything is twice expensive your probably like 65-75 per trap. I almost don't think its worth it anymore unless your time is free. Can't imagine making a business selling those with crappy margin.

Even if your fast they do take some time to make if your just doing a few of them. I bought everything hog rings/pliers at Aqua Pacific. Aqua mesh rolls are what you want. It lasts. I would run an air hand held metal shear to do them. I have manual cutters and they are pain.

What's the basic setup to make those?
I bought some of the plastic mesh and hog rings at the shop in Port Hardy and used stainless wire to weave it at the end. Definitely needs some sort of weight attached but needs to be removed for stacking.

Attachments

• IMG_20160607_145239_101621.jpg
    IMG_20160607_145239_101621.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20160604_203624_101737.jpg
    IMG_20160604_203624_101737.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20160604_203619_101800.jpg
    IMG_20160604_203619_101800.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 38
Back