Dividing Fishing Line

Baxter

Any good techniques on dividing a spool of line in half equally? (or very close?)

I picked up a 330 Yard spool, and want to divide it in half equally for two rods. (so close to 500' of line per rod).

This is my plan: Looked up the specs for the reel - it says 25" per crank (but I assume that is average as you will reel more line as there is more line loaded)

At 25" per crank, that works out to

Math Time
330 Yards = 990 ft = 11,880 Inches

at 25" per crank, that is 475.2 Cranks for the spool, or 237.6 Cranks for half

SO my question is, is this the best way to do this? Count out 237 cranks per rod? I imagine it will be pretty close if I do this.

I certainly don't need perfection, but would hate to end up with say 650' on one rod and 350' on the other.

(I thought about sending my kid walking with it down the street and finding the middle like I would with a chunk of rope, but that is just bat-****-crazy with 1000 feet of line. LOL)

1. Use the kid to find the midpoint on a school field, cut and reel.
2. Wind it on to your downrigger and then see what the counter says, then loosen the brake and wind onto reel until it says half, then do the other rod.
3. Fill the spool properly, then buy another spool to fill the other reel, then put the two partial spools in a box in the basement with all the other partial spools.

1. Use the kid to find the midpoint on a school field, cut and reel.
3. Fill the spool properly, then buy another spool to fill the other reel, then put the two partial spools in a box in the basement with all the other partial spools.
1-been there/done that and if there's a dog in the neighbourhood he'll get involved one way or the other.

3-be sure to label all the partial spools with abbreviations that make no sense a year later.

-use a bridge over a river instead of a field-here in Vancouver the Dinsmore is just about perfect.

There is another way I have used, as long as 1of your reels can easily hold more than half the spool of line:
1- take the biggest reel (if they are different) and spool as much as you can on it, either the whole spool of line, or fill it until the spool bulges with line. Don't worry, it's temporary and you won't fish it like that. If you could fit the whole spool of line, jump to 3 below, otherwise:
2- send kids, dogs and cats for a walk. Then hand strip the rest of the line on the spool on the floor in a neat pile. If there is too much line, strip in several piles. It sounds crazy, but I have done it many times for this exact purpose (splitting line between reels) and have never had a major tangle.
3- when you get to the end of the line on the spool, attach it to your second reel and start winding line from the piles of line. Do this from above each pile to further minimize risks of tangle.
4- once all the line is in the reels, you can wind either reel until both reel spools are filled to the exact same depth (If they are similar reels) or until you are satisfied with the fill of each reel spool.

This^^^. I’ve got one kicking around somewhere too.

I did this with mine. Not sure what all the parts are from. I recycled just about everything.

Attachments

• DBD3570F-EBA0-4CCB-B4F2-E473A41689DD.jpeg
    DBD3570F-EBA0-4CCB-B4F2-E473A41689DD.jpeg
    157 KB · Views: 21
  • BDD63A8D-CD37-4225-BEC7-2F05FA90C3C9.jpeg
    BDD63A8D-CD37-4225-BEC7-2F05FA90C3C9.jpeg
    107.7 KB · Views: 21
Back