DFO Regs

otter

If anyone can direct me to a quick reference to fishery notices regarding for example, Sockeye retention,Area 20, I would appreciate it. Tried DFO site, what a crock. I know via the Regs printed, until further notice. Sooner or later Sockeye retention will be posted but where? Last year it was on and off, hard to keep up with it.
Thanks

I have seen these but thats the problem, theres no direct reference I can find to sockeye retention, ie. until further notice. That reference is pre documented, am I going to see the actual Present status when it occurs? Their direct line says system down until further notice. Yeah right. The question I have is am I going to see on these sites clear and up to date info on the day I go out to fish?
Am I to assume no retention until its clearly indicated on the site?
I know Sooke Marina was good in posting info. I knew exactly what to do.Thanks

Too add, Iguess I got up on the wrong side of the sack this AM even though I got a 25lb last night,Secretary,Tomic plug. No bait, still slow. Anyhow after viewing the DFO sites it occurs to me they make sure they keep the Commercial notices up to date Ironical the time and wages paid to the enforcement section to check rec boats re barbless. Two to three members per boat to check? I am all for enforcement but I am a little dubious re there priorities.

Unfortunately the site I provided as far as I am aware, is the only one with updates on a daily basis. I can only suggest you visit it daily. And as r.s suggested assume there is no opening until posted. eman

The last notice re non-retention of sockeye was issued June 13/06 by DFO - nothing since...:

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/x...w_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=89290&ID=recreational

Category(s): RECREATIONAL - Salmon
Subject: FN0427-Sockeye: Restrictions in Southern BC Waters - Non-retention in Effect

Recreational fishers are reminded that sockeye non-retention is currently in effect in all Southern B.C. waters including the tidal and non-tidal waters of the Fraser River (with the exception of Area 23, Barkley Sound sockeye which is currently open to sockeye retention). These waters include Areas 11 to 22, 24 to 28, 29 including the tidal and non-tidal waters of the Fraser River, 111,
121 and 123 to 127.

This action is currently required to protect weak early timed sockeye stocks including the Early Stuart component of the Fraser River sockeye return, Sakinaw Lake sockeye, Nimpkish River sockeye and other early timed sockeye stocks.

It is anticipated that sockeye retention opportunities targeting the expected abundant early summer and summer run components of the Fraser River sockeye return will commence in most areas by late July. The opening date for sockeye retention will be based on in-season assessment information on abundance and run timing.

For more information contact the local DFO office in your area for updated information as it becomes available.

Fisheries & Oceans Operations Center - FN0427
Sent June 13, 2006 at 1535

Back