DFO PRAWNING

WHAT DOES EVERYBODY THINK ABOUT THIS.IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE A PULSE FISHING EXPERIMENT IN LADYSMITH BEING OPEN 1st of each month till the 15 and shut the rest of the month.now i just checked last night to make sure and now they have closed it till MAR 31.I`VE PRAWNED HERE EVERY BOXING DAY FOR THE LAST 10 YEAR'S.I DON'T THINK THEY KNOW WHAT THE HELL THERE DOING AT DFO.

I know, I'm just as upset as you are! Unfortunatly, we're just pawns in this game. I called yesterday to DFO to complain but their take on things is that the female index count is too low for this time of year. Difficut to argue against conservation. Realistically though, I don't think we'll ever see the stocks where they should be as long as we're competing head to head with the commercials in the same waters. We must move toward setting aside receational reserves which is what the SFAB is trying to do at present.
And we as sportfishers need to show a voice in the political arena.
There is a prawn sectorial meeting on Nov 28th in Nanaimo. Let me know if you want to go.

Better to aire on the side of caution IMHO -maybe you'll still be able to catch prawns in the NEXT ten years.

Well that sucks i could not get out in the first two weeks of oct. and the weather was bad for the first two weeks of nov.So looks like no prawns this winter.:(

Why not give the sporties even ONE weekend a month to at least get out and have some fun. Would this jeopardize healthy stocks? Packing the traps up for 4+ months is depressing.

Back