Cupping trailer tires

Stosh

I have a brand new boat trailer, and the outside edge of each tire is cupping. Does anyone know what is causing this?
Stosh

When you have cupping wear on a tire it maybe from from the tire bouncing on the road. You will want to check the air pressure in the tire and make sure you are running the maximum air pressure that is indicated on the tire sidewall. That or the bearings could have some play in it.

Uneven wear.......

:o

That's caused by alignment mostly.....maybe your tires are not tracking 100% straight. Or also you have too much play in the bearings and the wheels tend to wander and wobble.

Also incorrect tire pressure will aggravate it.

If everything was normal:-

(1) but your tires are over inflated....then the center middle of the tire will wear down more than the outside edges of the tire

(2) but your tires are under-inflated......then the outside shoulders of the tire will wear more than the inside middle.

Do NOT automatically fill your tires to the highest pressure rated on the side of the tire.

That rating is for maximum load (which is posted on the side of the tire)

Determine whether your loaded boat meets this requirement or not.

My tires are rated for max 60psi..........but I run them about 45psi......in the summer the road surface will heat them up anyway and they will expand and inflate some more.

Then again.....I am not running at max load even when I fill up the boat.....I have some room to play with.

Tires inflated to max for no reason will give you a bumpy bouncy jarring ride and the slightest bump will make your trailer bounce. Also not good idea on gravel roads.

You also run the risk of punctures and blowouts more plus summer "road heat-up" will put you over-pressure.

By cupping do you mean the wear is uneven on the edges or are the edges just wearing more than you expected. If the wear is relatively even then that is caused by turning a trailer in a tight circle such as a cul-de sac-more pronounced in tandem axle because the tires on a trailer cannot steer they are literally dragged or skidded around a tight turn wearing the outer edges. If it is uneven wear then the above answers in the previous posts are correct.

The outer tread is not wearing evenly, kind of gouging from the front to back. I had my last trailer for 13 years, and doing everthing the same with this one, including tight turns. Maybe inferior tires on the new trailer?
Stosh

Back