• You pay everything

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • Cost share trip costs equally among everyone

Votes: 42 84.0%
  • They pay trip costs, you supply boat and gear

Votes: 5 10.0%

• Total voters

Umos

Just wondering what people do for cost sharing w buddies on big multi-day fishing trips when using your boat, e.g., WCVI. Do you (the boat owner) just handle all costs to keep it simple, or split all direct costs (accom, fuel, lost gear) equally with all on board, or have your buddies cost share the direct costs amongst themselves as you are supplying the boat and gear.

The boat owner should be given a break somewhere seeing as he made the major investment and have to service the boat.

My regular partners take care of supplying and preparing the food as well as paying their share of all expenses

I look at it this way, I expect no one to pay anything as I'd be going on my own dime if I was solo. So, if someone beats me to a bill or two for fuel or dinner, I feel like that's enough. If you go into these scenarios expecting to be reimbursed without this discussion in advance, expect to be disappointed.

Got a buddy who’s a top guide on Vancouver Island and his buddies always want him to take them out so he found a little plaque that says “ This boat doesn’t run on friendship “. If buddies aren’t kicking in for gas or bringing bait not fair !!! Maintenance fuel insurance gear bait all very expensive now to be bringing out freeloaders !!!! Just my opinion!

With hunting and fishing we all keep a tab and at end of trip after the oils have been changed in boat. and truck washed and detailed (hunting) and oils changed we split it all evenly. Also any damages that happen on the trips is covered by everyone. as we (they) are using our truck and boats etc not all on owners dime. this is all discussed prior to all our trips.. ive been hunting and fishing with the same guys for many years one guy 35 plus years and the next over 20 .. good hunting and fishing partners are hard to come by...

We split it equally. We recently used this App, called "Splid" that worked great on making it easy. Check it out.
Same but we use kittysplit. They're likely similar. Nice because you can specify the split on each expense, whether that be between just two guys or all people. Then at the end it totals it in the simplest way so not every guy is giving money to every other guy. It's smarter than we are. For golf trips it works really well because we even include all the gambling in it. Even poker chip values if we end up playing some cards.

We’ve been doing a group trip to wcvi for over 10 years now, and this is how we do it.

All trip/group expenses are kept track of, including: lodge, fuel, bait, food, trip swag, cocktail hour refreshments, etc.

At the end of the trip, it’s all added up and split between all 15 guys, with the non-captains paying about $125-150 more per person for the trip than the boat owners.

Everyone who comes on this trip knows full well that they’re getting a high end, unique trip that other people pay thousands for a similar experience, and everyone knows that it doesn’t happen without the boat owners providing a safe, well equipped vessel. So we tried to make little changes over the years to favour the captains. The lodge we rent has 8 bedrooms, the boat captains automatically get their own bedroom. Boat captains also don’t have any “jobs” or responsibilities at the lodge, their job is the boat. So they don’t have to clean fish, cook food, clean up the cabin etc. all those jobs are assigned to the non captains. Everyone has their “lodge jobs”, one year you’re on kitchen crew, next cleaning crew, next year fish/dock crew etc. Captains get to kick back when not on the water. We also have a “you break it, you replace it” rule for any boat gear broken or lost overboard

That’s how we do it, and it works really well. Obviously, boat owners still end up paying more for the trip once you factor in maintenance/gear/insurance etc, but boat owners are fully aware of that going in.

Being organized, clear communication on everyone’s responsibilities and cost share from the get go, that’s the key.

The 4 day trip for 15 guys total cost was $12k this year

Last edited:
We’ve been doing a group trip to wcvi for over 10 years now, and this is how we do it.

All trip/group expenses are kept track of, including: lodge, fuel, bait, food, trip swag, cocktail hour refreshments, etc.

At the end of the trip, it’s all added up and split between all 15 guys, with the non-captains paying about $125-150 more per person for the trip than the boat owners.

Everyone who comes on this trip knows full well that they’re getting a high end, unique trip that other people pay thousands for a similar experience, and everyone knows that it doesn’t happen without the boat owners providing a safe, well equipped vessel. So we tried to make little changes over the years to favour the captains. The lodge we rent has 8 bedrooms, the boat captains automatically get their own bedroom. Boat captains also don’t have any “jobs” or responsibilities at the lodge, their job is the boat. So they don’t have to clean fish, cook food, clean up the cabin etc. all those jobs are assigned to the non captains. Everyone has their “lodge jobs”, one year you’re on kitchen crew, next cleaning crew, next year fish/dock crew etc. Captains get to kick back when not on the water. We also have a “you break it, you replace it” rule for any boat gear broken or lost overboard

That’s how we do it, and it works really well. Being organized, clear communication on everyone’s responsibilities and cost share from the get go, that’s the key.

The 4 day trip for 15 guys total cost was $12k this year
Where do I sign up.

I've had a buddy text me his buddy's fuel bill for the truck, they and one of their kids drove, to the West Coast to stay with me in my camper and go fishing for two days. He then lost it when I sent him a summary of my expenses with my calculations like I always do including my truck fuel bill. Friendship never recovered, but I can trace it back to a derby, where we didn’t discuss how the winnings were split, he fished one of two days, I bought two of three tickets and co-owned the boat, where my partner who didn’t fish said @boat gets a share it’s always like that,” where my buddy felt blind sided. I was caught in the middle, I offered him the difference during a text message breakup but the damage was done.

My ex-boat partner pays half of all expenses while fishing for multi day trips, I pay 1/3 if we bring his buddy.

Another friend pays for his buddy's meals, lodging and gas when his buddy brings his boat to the West Coast.

It’s easy to drop 1-2k on prepping the boat, tackle and gear for a big west coast mission, on top of the cost of ownership which in the case of a big boat is likely in the tens of thousands per year now that boat depreciation is a thing (despite the denial boat sellers are going through) and we often own a much bigger truck than we would if we didn’t own a boat.

I’m a little less keen on doing big trips with others, it’s almost impossible to find people who will do 1/2 the work, much less split expenses.

Tip for boat buddies, if there is time to lean there is time to clean! Bring bait, brined. If you are a good cook bring sandwiches food. If you tie good knots pre-tie gear. Bring new chain swivels and hooks/leader line. A spare rod and reel that’s been serviced and has new line. Buy a set of charts and donate them to the boat.

A friend who owns a chandlery gave me halibut rod leashes he made himself, he can always fish with me with no expectations of compensation. My wife borrowed one and cut it, I considered divorce, not that I’m petty.

I don’t even want to track expenses just take things off my plate. Another Buddy “helped me” basically did my brake job on my trailer, he has free fishing for life.

@Soup Knot Sea
Group sounds pretty good.

Great forum. I’ve been on every different end of the spectrum - often supplying the boat and truck, albeit a 14’ back then so much cheaper then most vessels doing day/overnight trips to sooke and port renfrew, I’ve been the guy invited on trips in buddy’s boats (26’ +) and then when it comes to river fishing through the winter, my buddy does nearly all the driving and supplies the truck based on our needs in the bush. I’ll speak from being the guests perspective below.

Most recently, myself and 3 good buds did an overnighter to the Sandheads from Victoria. The 3 non boat owners supplied 95% of the food, including prep, besides a few home cooked items the captain wanted to bring, all the liquor (boat/truck owner ALWAYS drinks for free), 1/2 the tackle/rods/reels, and covered 80+ % of the fuel bill. Captain volunteered to supply bait as had a few packs left in the freezer. I left this trip (and I believe the captain did to) feeling like this was split fairly. Fish was of course split evenly 4 ways.

As the copilot through my winter fishing season/camping, I always cover my partners liquor, take care of all our food including prep, and take care of at least 60% + of the fuel bill as a thanks. Anytime as the guest I always try and pickup a tab or grab supplies on the way when things come up to show my appreciation for my partners effort and supplying the truck/boat. It should go without saying that as the guest you’ll be expected to have fantastic tunes to your captains liking for the duration of the trip.

The bottom line is good buddies are hard to find especially with common interests and who you enjoy being out there with, so be generous within your means and show appreciation by bucking up when friends are showing you a good experience imo.

Interesting from @wolf for pointing out the detailing of a truck after a long trip. I’ve seen what a truck is like after a week + in the bush and something I never though of contributing to in the past but definitely will now.

I think it also depends a bit on the context. I've invited novices out fishing before, and I generally expect that costs are 100% on me. But taking out a regular boat buddy, I'm happy to share out of pocket expenses. I figure the boat value, maintenance, and depreciation is my choice to bear.

Back