Control Cable Options?

TelStar26

My throttle lever has been getting stiffer over the years and making it hard to stay at a low RPM, so my bud and I went through my upper and lower throttle/shifter control stations the other day, removed them from the boat, clean all the old greeze off, lubed them up, set the detents, exc... We also checked the throttle cable running from the upper and lower control stations for stiffness when the control assemblies were removed. All seemed good so we re attached and set the stops and idle and whatnot on the lower control. It was pretty smooth and a big improvment! We then attached the upper control station to find the throttle was still still as hell! we go down stairs, and the lower throttle control is smooth as butter, Go back up on deck, and you can hardly move the upper throttle control, But there connected!! even tho the upper control moves the lower control, and the lower control moves the upper control, the upper control is stiff as hell, but the lower is smooth!
After some googling and asking around, Im told it has to do with the cable going from the upper and lower stations, when we tested it with no controls connected there was no load on it, and it seemed fine. But once we hooked up the cables, it stiffened up! Fair enough, but it doesnt explain how the lower control moves the cabl freely, and the upper doesnt. Then im told it has to do with the cables inner coating being worn only at the bends, and since the inner cable is spiral, only pushing/pulling from one direction (the upper control) causes it to get stiff. Since the upper station pushs up and pulls down, I guess thats differnt than the lower station pushing down and pulling up. ....I guess.........?

But ANYWAY..... The gist of it is that I should replace my control cable from the upper and lower stations.
It currently has the Common 33C Red jacket cable which look to be about $50 bucks canadian. My question for anyone with expereince with these is: Should I just throw in a new red jacket 33c, or would it be worth it to spend the little extra money on a higher end cable like the Teleflex TFExtreme?

Last edited by a moderator:
If it is a lot of work to get at I would definitely go the higher end cables, And then I would just do that anyways, when it comes to pleasure time I will spare no expense.

Spend the bucks-you don't want to do this again-believe me it will seize up at the worst time-after youve trailed a long distance for a special trip and everything is seized with no repair shops within a hundred miles. Been there-done that

Yea, You guys are probly right, Ill stop being cheep and get the good ones!
Thanks for the advice guys!

Back