Contaminated fuel

Roberth

Crew Member
Just a heads up. I just had to have my tank pumped dry and the fuel filtered because of water contaminated fuel. They removed 3 gallons of fresh water from 70 gal of fuel.
I only get my fuel from the co-op on Wale Rd

Just a heads up. I just had to have my tank pumped dry and the fuel filtered because of water contaminated fuel. They removed 3 gallons of fresh water from 70 gal of fuel.
I only get my fuel from the co-op on Wale Rd
Double check you fuel fill o-ring and the actual thread of the filler cap. On my hourston the original fitting was cast pot metal and it disintegrated in the threads. Just to be sure.
Fuel polishing, what a pain. I have also got bad fuel at a marina once. Filters clogged with sediment

Double check you fuel fill o-ring and the actual thread of the filler cap. On my hourston the original fitting was cast pot metal and it disintegrated in the threads. Just to be sure.
Fuel polishing, what a pain. I have also got bad fuel at a marina once. Filters clogged with sediment
Buddy had the same issue
O ring was gone. Rain water running into the tank.

100 % on the above posts, Something else I experienced on a hourston was water intake through the vent on transom, the original vents didn't have a splash guard and when running there is a vacuum at the vent. Also had salt crystals in the tank and vent line.

When was the last time we got rain in Victoria? I use the boat all the time

Last edited:
Agree with the comment about the overflow/breather vent being a problem. If you have this type of setup make sure you aren't getting sea water in this way.
This happened to me in my boat for awhile before I figured out what was going on.

Agree with the comment about the overflow/breather vent being a problem. If you have this type of setup make sure you aren't getting sea water in this way.
This happened to me in my boat for awhile before I figured out what was going on.
Should always protect those with a clamshell

Back