Commercial prawn opening date

Yep I was bummed out as I didn't go yesterday or this morning. Wanted to do one last kick at can prawning. It isn't really worth it with commercial out.

Soon as I saw the gongshow at Ladysmith ramp today I actually made a smart choice. No thanks.

Will wait for fall to start up again. Best time still for me is in winter months.

Like Squire said, I drop traps in more structured areas where the commercial guys sometimes seem to avoid a bit. The prawn opening for sporties usually closes a few days before the commercial opening then will reopen a few days after the commercial opening. I’ve found the commercial guys are just out there trying to make a living. Once I accidentally set on top of a string that they had laid out. My line was cut but retied so never lost any gear, just had to splice my lead line. Ive been ou on a friends commercial prawn boat helping out and anytime we tangled with sporty gear, if we had to cut the line we always retied it.
I've had this 3 times in one season, now I just stay shallower once we start up.

It’s tomorrow.
I saw commercial guys head out of tseaum Harbour multiple times on Monday it looked like.

I thought there was a few in satellite channel yesterday judging by bout depths and locations that I have seen them at before.

the “ceremonial” high speed prawn boat out of CR already took care of that before the commercial boys even got a chance to begin.

I was just wondering if it’s worth dropping traps in August. even if i got enough for a meal or two while overnighting on the boat it would be cool
I’d give that a shot. In our area, they really clean it out. Earliest I pull the traps out of the shed again is usually in mid October.

Nice! I won’t be up that way to the start of August. I may try area 20 or 19 next week
I feel like I came to late this year to our usual in 19. Normally start early April and hit a sweet spot begite commercial.

This year really just did most of May and took the all out now. My deeper area didn't do well and the shallower spot has lots of smaller ones.

A few bouys half under water today sitting outside mosses point into the satellite channel with some commercial floats near them. I wonder if some people have just left there gear. I haven't seen 4 bouys move in weeks.

I did ok last week, Sunshine Coast. Commercial operators definitely out there and working, got the chance to see them in action a few times. With that and observing location of buoys already set, I was able to stay out of their way and set in smaller nooks of appropriate depth water.

Some good info in this or maybe another prawning thread noting prawns migrate shallower at night led me to try dropping in 260-270 ft for overnight sets. The commies mostly had their trap lines on 300-400 ft flats, so my shallower depth not only got me out of their way but also fishing water they probably hadn't covered. I was getting 30-40 big prawns per trap, which seemed pretty good to me in the middle of comm season. Prawning is still a work in progress for me, I'm only at the coast 3 times a year.

My observations yesterday was that the commercial guys were setting in locations with pretty strong currents such as the entrance to Samson Narrows. Not that deep either but steep, rock terrain with a few ledges. I wonder why that is? I set my traps in a low/no current area and did ok. Do better quality/larger prawns hang out there?

Last edited:
I saw a comm set twice in Welcome Pass, where currents run to 4 kn and the dropoffs to 450 ft are very rapid.

Category(s):
COMMERCIAL - Invertebrates: Prawn and Shrimp by Trap
Subject:
FN0562-COMMERCIAL - Prawn and Shrimp by Trap - South Coast / Fraser River - Areas 11 to 29, 111, 121, 123 to 127 - Coastwide Closure

The commercial Prawn and Shrimp by Trap fishery will close coastwide for the balance of the year effective 19:00 hours Monday June 19, 2023.

Early notification of the coast wide closure is being given due to safety concerns that have arisen as a result of the Highway 4 closure.

Spawner Index Sampling will continue to the end of the season. Vessel masters are reminded to provide assistance to the observers.

Fishery continues until 19:00 hours Monday June 19, 2023 for all species of shrimp, including prawns, by trap gear, in the following areas:

Just back from 2 weeks at the Sunshine Coast and had consistent catches of 50-60 large prawns every day. My observations of commercial activity back in May stood me in good stead as I continued to work areas not really accessible to commercial sets.

I'm struck by how much nuance there is in prawn fishing. I struggled for years in the same general area with little or inconsistent success before reading and asking questions on here and other online resources helped me break through. Location, equipment and technique all matter. Hurling the whole mess of traps and rope over the side doesn't work, they need to be placed with care and forethought. Achieving consistent daily catches this month was a major breakthrough for me. Thanks to all who answered my questions.

Back