Commercial prawn opening date

Capt_Ed

Crew Member
Anyone know when it is

Also I saw an ad for one of the West Coast lodge saying the prawn limit was 110 a day. I thought it was 125 , can't find it on the regs

You can drop traps but good luck if a commercial guy drops his line over top of yours.
Oh it's like that, hey? Okay, do they go everywhere? Are there spots we can go to avoid them? Like do they even go right tight into the Saanich Inlet near the boat ramp?

Like Squire said, I drop traps in more structured areas where the commercial guys sometimes seem to avoid a bit. The prawn opening for sporties usually closes a few days before the commercial opening then will reopen a few days after the commercial opening. I’ve found the commercial guys are just out there trying to make a living. Once I accidentally set on top of a string that they had laid out. My line was cut but retied so never lost any gear, just had to splice my lead line. Ive been ou on a friends commercial prawn boat helping out and anytime we tangled with sporty gear, if we had to cut the line we always retied it.

Thanks for that information. Why just for one week?
Closed for spawner index testing.

Recreational prawn and shrimp harvesters are advised that the harvest of prawns and shrimp by trap, ring net, or spear while diving, will close from 00:01 hours May 14, 2023, to 23:59 hours May 19, 2023, in Stuart Channel (Subareas 17-5, 17-6, and 17-9), Saanich Inlet (Subareas 19-7 to 19-12 inclusive), and Alberni Inlet (Subareas 23-1 to 23-3 inclusive). This action is to allow for the completion of comprehensive spawner index sampling at the start of the commercial fishery.

Hmmm I heard it was after the long weekend. The guy that bought my camper is a commercial prawner and said that. I was gonna go out next weekend

Back