Cod balls for odd balls

Tsquared

My mother used to make deep fried cod balls, (and according to her, we were the oddballs!) usually made from ling cod but I think you could use any kind of cod or even halibut. She would mince the cod up, grate in some fresh ginger and minced onion and I think, some flour, maybe egg as well? These were absolutely delicious and I am trying to recreate that recipe. I am looking for advice on how to hold these balls together in the oil. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

My mother used to make deep fried cod balls, (and according to her, we were the oddballs!) usually made from ling cod but I think you could use any kind of cod or even halibut. She would mince the cod up, grate in some fresh ginger and minced onion and I think, some flour, maybe egg as well? These were absolutely delicious and I am trying to recreate that recipe. I am looking for advice on how to hold these balls together in the oil. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
I think you boil them first

had them growing up as well, but I believe I had just small chunks of the cod (instead of minced, so they stuck together), rolled in spice, then in a batter....they were great

I make all kinda of little round deep fried subjects. Best thing I ever came up with was wet it in tempura, and dust it, roll it in panko style bread crumbs. Makes a mess of your hands and have to start over after every time if you want a perfect ball of seafood bliss.

had them growing up as well, but I believe I had just small chunks of the cod (instead of minced, so they stuck together), rolled in spice, then in a batter....they were great
Are we talking Asian style spongey balls or more like croquettes?

Back