Coastal MIG Boats Info

Markranna

Hey guys, wondering if anyone has any experience with Coastal MIG boats out of Duncan? I am about to go look at one but have not been able to find much information about them. Love the design but from the pictures looks like some potentially low quality welds. aluminum-coastal-mig-center-console_000.jpg Any insight is appreciated!

See more pics of the boat here:

I'd agree, not exactly a 'stack of dimes' welds - I wouldn't go out of my way to call the welds pretty, but I wouldn't call them unprofessional either. Hull looks solid: modern reverse chine, and if you look at the lower portion of the bow the two bottom panels appear to meet in a fully welded keel. Likely a fully boxed egg-crate frame under the floor if you could take a look? What is the plate thickness: 1/4" bottom x 3/16" sides?

Price is hard to say, but on its face looks reasonable. Obviously its a well used work boat that has been through a few modifications over the years (With the holes to prove it). Depends on your expectations, and what you intend to put into it. Engine hours are not listed, so repower? Personally, I'd clean up the rigging, and redo the console. I'd definitely want to get in to the bilge to see if it has old spray foam inside (hopefully not). Aluminum + salt water + spray foam does not mix well and I'd be really careful about looking for hull corrosion. If you budgetted $38k for the boat, $25k for repower with a brand new 150hp (including rigging), and another $5k for housekeeping - that takes you $68k. That doesn't seem terrible - you would be well over $120k new for something like this from Lifetimer (although it would be brand new and possibly nicer looking). Take it for a ride and see what you think...

Likely built by a former Lifetimer employee, using a Specmar design? That inner truss rail definitely looks like a Lifetimer designs.

Back