Closest spot to Victoria for retention

John Ingram

What is the closest spot to Victoria, BC for retention of Spring Salmon before July 15th.???

Thanks for the reply. I do know about Beecher Bay. I'm looking for an area's that I can scout out for some shore fishing
while I wait for July 15th.
Beecher Bay inside the triangle I think. Pretty sure area 19 shutdown June 1st.

Saanich inlet for 62cm clipped fish. Moses point (Wain Rock) South. You will be casting for a while.

18-7 is also open for the same 62cm clipped. That is the area from Saanich inlet North through Samson Narrows.

Last edited:
Saanich inlet for 62cm clipped fish. Moses point (Wain Rock) South. You will be casting for a while.

18-7 is also open for the same 62cm clipped. That is the area from Saanich inlet North through Samson Narrows.
Have you had much luck in those areas.

From shore? Only in the fall when the coho are staging off certain beaches, otherwise I have had some luck boat jigging off Wain Rock and opposite near Arbutus Ridge while prawn traps soak. Saanich inlet itself seems pretty quite. I hope I'm wrong because it use to be decent 'back in the day'. I have never fished the northern part of 18-7 but I hear it has it's times.

Thanks for the reply. Many years ago I fished Moses Point when the whole area was open. Looking at the DFO
map just a tiny sliver is open. If I cast south of the point it looks like it closed and if I cast north east it's closed.
I would have to cast in one direction N.W. Is this area open like Beecher bay because of the
Cowichan native openings.

Back