Chasing Tuna - Alternative to Terrafin for Water Temps and Chloryphll

carpeweekend

Crew Member
I have been a subscriber to Terrafin for several years and have been frustrated with the overall quality of the images, and how clunky the tool is to use. Seems like it is a 1990's computer program.

Stumbled upon a new service called Satfish (Satfish.com). The only problem was that it didn't have maps beyond northern Washington. I reached out and they were in the process of updating their service to include the West side of Van Isle. It's called Tofino/Uclulet but shows the entire west side of the Island. Much better images and maps, can overlay weather, etc. Easier to use and much more detailed.. Also, a lot of very helpful articles on how to use the maps, how to find tuna with the maps, etc. A huge upgrade over Terrafin in my opinion.

Just signed up for a 30 day trial even though I just renewed my Terrafin subscription (dammit). When they contacted me about mapping for Van Isle, they gave me a $20 off code "ALBACORE20" that brings the price down to US$109 per year which is about the same as a Terrafin subscription.

I haven't spend much time on the site yet but will let you know my impressions. Worth checking out.

On the site, it looks like the 30 day free trial is actually a 30 day no-cost extension to the 1 year membership. Still not bad I guess, effectively meaning buying now will give you two albacore seasons coverage

Carpeweekend, have you signed up and seen the WCVI maps? I don’t see it listed on the ‘regions’ tab of the site

Anyone tried Ripcharts? Their coverage area map suggests that the southern half of Vancouver Island is covered with the US west coast.

Terrafin has been brutal the past several weeks. You would think with the relatively clear weather (until recently) they’d get a few good shots.

This is the Satfish image. It also shows that canyons. This is a 3 day composite image which is nice as it overlays several sat shots together when there is cloud to give you temps. There is also an app so you can use it on your phone.

Screenshot 2024-08-22 at 1.34.48 PM.png

Back