Charging Batteries

CIVANO

OK, I was running with my selector switch on both all the time. I had the house battery with all electronics and downriggers on an isolator switch to keep a previous surge when starting the big motor (250 4stroke yamaha) from causing the radar to shut down and restart the 90 second countdown. The problem with the isolator was that on both, only battery one was combining. If I put the switch on 1 for any period of time, battery 2 would get lowsince it was still drainig. After reading all the input I got a bus and placed everything on it and battery 1 controls everything and battery 2 does the same and both combines them. Now with both batteries fully charged, can I, at home, switch the selector to Both and hook a 1.5 Amp trickle charger to battery 1 and have it maintain both batteries. I need to keep some power on so that the fuel flow meter stays current and doesn't erase. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Never run both batteries together for any length of time. I have had battery trouble aplenty, and learned in my second year of schooling for my electrical apprenticeship why: If both batteries are not at the exact same voltage ( 12.6v and 11.2v for example) they will set up circulating currents between them as they try to equalize. This will eventually destroy or seriously damage one, or usually both batteries.

Charging two batteries at once can be done, but more often than not, the lower of the two batteries will take the charge, and not let the good one charge.

As for your backup memory, I don't know what to suggest. By buddy at Lifetimer Boats in Duncan usually runs a 3 battery setup for boats with large outboards. I run the standard dual setup myself, and always switch to the "off" position for storage.

Hope I could be of some assistance, and not confuse you more.

Dave

Back