Center Console vs. Cuddy

• Thread starter Thread starter sherboat
  • Start date Start date
S

sherboat

I'm looking at getting a boat next spring, and have been struggling with what style will work best for me and my family. I need it to be multipurpose, ie. tow a tube/skier/wakeboard, but also be fishable, Vancouver area, and occasional trip to WCVI. The other monkey wrench is that I have young kids (forcing me to seriously consider the cuddy).

Usage would probably be about 70/30 lake/ocean in the next couple years, moving to 50/50. I kinda like the versatility of a 21 CC, but can appreciate the comfort of a partially enclosed cockpit and cuddy.

Local dealers all tell me that they rarely if ever sell any CCs around here. I am just wondering if anyone has any experience using a CC with curtains, or using an express to tow the kids.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences.

Cheers.:)

LC is right a CC isnt a great family boat. Not many guys runnin them although they are nice to fish from at times. Our friend is runnin a 28ft cc and loves it

I'm with LC on this. Had a 18 ft WA cuddy and by the time you store rods, tackle, anchor + ball etc etc not much room left for kids in the cuddy. And still cold, drop curtains not offering much protection from wind or spray. Moved to a 20ft cabin since. Problem with that is you don't realize when the wind is picking up other than from how big the waves become;)
CCs are for guys with a survival suit fetish...unless you live in Florida:Dand I almost bought one

There was a thread on this exact subject within the last year...lots of feedback if I recall. Do a search and maybe you'll find it.
Personally, my next boat will be a cuddy.

Guess I'm envisioning the sunny days on the water. ;) Forgetting where I live.

What is a cuddy like in the 21' range on the lake? I'm thinking about a 21' with a 225hp outboard. Strong enough out of the hole to get a wakeboard or ski up?

Thanks for the great feedback so far.

Just did a search. Found 3 good threads with lots of detail. Definitely looks like a cuddy would work better for us.

I've been looking at Campion 542 and 602b (Outboard). Only reason for the 602 is the extra space. 3 kids. Anyone own one of those?

Thanks again.

Purchased the 602i this spring. My first big boy boat and loving every minute of it. The cuddy has lots of stow space and the deck as well. The cuddy sleeps me and the fisher woman comfortably and would sleep three little ones no problem. The porta head is a god send for the ladies on those long days. Keeps me fishin. We have the Volvo GXi (225 hp)and pulls a skier no problem. Cruises nice at 30kt on light chop. Lots of small details in the fishable category (bait wells, floor fish wells, built in tackle box, down rigger mount surfaces, and on and on). Sounds like an ad for Campion. We fish out of Comox mostly but love spending time in Barkley. Haven't been offshore yet. Fits well on the lake, doesn't look like a barge. Good luck shopping. Demo them if your dealer allows.

I have a 20 campion with 190 hp inboard cutty cabin great for the family (two kids) and pulls me out of the water on a salom ski ( i'm 200# ) cheers .

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I think I am more comfortable with what I want now. The rest of the decision will come down to budget and tow weight.

Hopefully see you on the water next year.

Cheers.

The 602i sport cuddy is hands down my dream boat...but holy **** are Campions expensive these days! Largest cuddy in a 21' boat I've seen, and with the right power will definetly work as a lake sport
boat.

I had a 19 campion center console ride was great but cold ,wet .I have a 23 campion cuddy and love it ,the wife and kid are happy and dry.Your kids will spend lots of time in the cuddy so more fishing for you.

cheers

I have had a Campion 552 for 8 years, we have had our kids out to the West Coast since they were 3 and 6 years old. We would get them up at 4:30a.m. carry them to the boat and they would sleep for another 3 hours in the cuddy. The quiet time in the morning was great and also got to fish more.

177287878.jpg

Back