Can you add autopilot to a seastar kicker steering?

Rain City

Crew Member
I have a rear helm for just my kicker. I'd like a way to have the boat maintain its course while fishing. Is this possible or do I need some kind of additional electric/remote steering system? This might be a really dumb question.

Yes that is possible , just like any pilot to the main.

Just from my own experience , I could not get a virtual rudder to work at bringing my kicker back to said zero position every single time so I had to add a rudder sensor to nail that issue.

What are we working with? Hydraulic? Cable? Pics?

What is the boat? Main engine? Steering for the main?

I have a rear helm for just my kicker. I'd like a way to have the boat maintain its course while fishing. Is this possible or do I need some kind of additional electric/remote steering system? This might be a really dumb question.I have insta
Not sure about yo
I have a rear helm for just my kicker. I'd like a way to have the boat maintain its course while fishing. Is this possible or do I need some kind of additional electric/remote steering system? This might be a really dumb question.
Not sure about the sea star system but if it uses a DC motor to move the kicker, it should not be a problem.
I have a Panther T4 steering system and I’ve installed a selector switch that allows me now to use it normally in Manual mode using the wireless remote control or when I switch to auto , the steering is taken by my Raymarine autopilot control. Usually set up to follow a course while trolling. I am still able to manually control the steering using the control buttons on the autopilot control head
Love the system , trolling alone is a piece of cake!
D

Not sure about yo

Not sure about the sea star system but if it uses a DC motor to move the kicker, it should not be a problem.
I have a Panther T4 steering system and I’ve installed a selector switch that allows me now to use it normally in Manual mode using the wireless remote control or when I switch to auto , the steering is taken by my Raymarine autopilot control. Usually set up to follow a course while trolling. I am still able to manually control the steering using the control buttons on the autopilot control head
Love the system , trolling alone is a piece of cake!
D
No this is a hydraulic system. No electronic parts. Wasn't sure if I could add something or if I have to start fresh.

What are we working with? Hydraulic? Cable? Pics?

What is the boat? Main engine? Steering for the main?
30 commander with twin diesel IO. Kicker steering and throttle has its own helm at the back with a sea star hydraulic steering.

You have stand alone manual hydraulic for main also? Such as seastar helm and seastar or wagner cylinder?

Where's your shop? Just wondering how exactly this would work?

You have Lowrance still, you could add autopilot but it would be so good to have it on the twins for the Alaska and inside passage run.
There's no electric steering on anything.

You have 2 helms and 2 cylinders. From what I understand.

Can join them. And add a valve. Consists of the hoses being re configured and adding a total of 2 hoses and a valve. We make our own control panels with Bosch relays. This way you can add whatever you want as far as control. Push button, wireless, auto pilot, anything. All working in conjunction with the system. Flawless

Not sure what the results will be like if that was only controlling the kicker. It might be working all the time. If the water was flat calm probably not an issue. however you might have better results if it were swinging both engines.

Anyone have an auto pilot directly controlling a kicker engine with completely stand alone kicker steering?

Not sure what the results will be like if that was only controlling the kicker. It might be working all the time. If the water was flat calm probably not an issue. however you might have better results if it were swinging both engines.

Anyone have an auto pilot directly controlling a kicker engine with completely stand alone kicker steering?
Oh you were thinking of doing both? I can't imagine I'd be running the diesels while fishing at all. Maybe for tuna. This isn't something I'd be using all time or in windy conditions. Just a break for when I'm setting traps or fishing by myself.

Just the steering. Small kickers do not turn big boats very well

I think I would join the 2 steering systems together with a valve. That way you have complete auto pilot system, and way better turning power when fishing with the auxiliary engine. Not that much more work, if your already adding a pump

Back