Campbell river prawning report

Holy cow now stream I hope you enjoy you're own private ocean that you pay for and mantain all by you're self.. Must be something to be special...

Holy cow now stream I hope you enjoy you're own private ocean that you pay for and mantain all by you're self.. Must be something to be special...

I really dont think me saying that the prawning has been good in one area really caused a surge of people to head out. Nice weather probly has more to do with it.
Well i think the commercial guys withs hundreds of traps do more harm than a few sporties.

I really dont think me saying that the prawning has been good in one area really caused a surge of people to head out. Nice weather probly has more to do with it.
Well i think the commercial guys withs hundreds of traps do more harm than a few sporties.

What particular spot , I have lots of spots i fish there. Streamhopper you may want to talk to tyee marine because they advised me on going there and i would hate to hear others are going to your spot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What particular spot , I have lots of spots i fish there. Streamhopper you may want to talk to tyee marine because they advised me on going there and i would hate to hear others are going to your spot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I left my traps at my top secret prawning spot last weekend. I made sure nobody was following me, and my floats were the only ones there.

But when I returned a few hours later, someone else had traps in my ocean fishing my prawns! How did that happen? Damn!

Oh well, I still scored lots of yummy prawns. [8D]

I left my traps at my top secret prawning spot last weekend. I made sure nobody was following me, and my floats were the only ones there.

But when I returned a few hours later, someone else had traps in my ocean fishing my prawns! How did that happen? Damn!

Oh well, I still scored lots of yummy prawns. [8D]

Went out in area 14 today (180-250 feet), average sized prawns, few shrimp, lots of females carrying eggs (that were thrown back), got our limit and will taste great with a steak tonight..yum

Right on Talons! I can not catch prawns in that shallow of water(Usually 350-450) Is it finding the flat bottoms or catching a shelve?

You think nobody thought of JUST driving by a commerial prawner or just his floats and marking it on his G P S these guys know where the prawns are???? Think about it ???

We usually look for nice shelf or a deep hole and but it took a lot of trial and error to find the right mixture of bait and about 1 hour set times works. We also found that if we got to deeper water 275-325 we get bigger prawns but longer soak times were required. All in all they tasted great with my steak.

quote:Originally posted by gurdygord

You think nobody thought of JUST driving by a commerial prawner or just his floats and marking it on his G P S these guys know where the prawns are???? Think about it ???
They get pissed and take traps sometimes down here. Plus if you set to close they are just gonna get tangled and cut your line ect

I have been prawning in Baynes Sound for the last six years or so.For me it has not always been the greatest, but it has been worth the effort. I'm awhare that there are some spots that produce better then others, but have become comfortable in the small area that I know and have gotten to know the locals that set there. Added pressure has had it's problems. Mainly from rookies that use five gallon pails etc. that are unmarked and floating line just spread out on the surface like an oil slick. The last thing a boater needs when the weather is starting to blow and believe me it can blowup in a hurry in the sound, is running over floating trap line. My only suggestion to people responding to info on this or any other forum is to take the next step and get educated on the proper requirements and the legalities. And finally respect your fellow prawner's space. eman

I totally agree with Eman, there have been good and bad time but pretty consistent. Rookies and uneducated prawners can destroy the fun and the sport. Read the regs about traps and markers and limits of prawns/shrimp and let the egg covered creatures go back to the deep and keep the cycle going.

CA, I agree with you to a point, but there is more to it, than a few rec prawners out there on the weekend.
Prawns are a short lived species and stocks are influenced by larval survival. Larval survival is dependant on a variety of environmental effects. Prawn larvae move into surface waters at night and mortality is increased by rainfall, low salinity conditions, just to name a few. During the larval stage, tides and wind driven currents control and direct the distribution of the larvae. Local areas may have reduced prawn abundance or increased prawn abundance depending on the distribution of larvae when they settle – and these changes year to year for each area.

DFO tends to error on the side of caution. For example when there is conflicting data or differing opinions and agreements are not achieved amongst them, then an area is closed. This is deceiving and can leave the recreational fisherman thinking a certain area has been over fished when one of the reasons could be prawns hiding and waiting for their exoskeletons to gain strength and this could give false readings.

DFO reduced the amount of commercial traps per vessel (in 1995) which made the commercial prawners haul their gear sometimes up to three times a day. It took another 5 years until DFO implemented a single haul fishery for the commercial prawners. Did these 5 years impact our prawn stocks?

The original size limit for the commercial fishery was 30 mm, (carapace length) then rose to 32, then 33 in 98. Should a size limit be introduced for the recreational prawner, in order to preserve our stocks?

Commercial fishers have to release female prawns carrying eggs at any time until the end of June. The recreational prawners are recommend to release egg carrying prawns during winter fishing. Do we all return the egg carriers while fishing?

When I prawn, all egg carriers are returned in the same water while fishing. As for the size limit, I hope it hasnt come to that stage where this has to be implemented.

quote:So, if we want a year round fishery, it does not help to advertize to the world if decent catches are being achieved. "Its just that simple!"

For anything but a migratory species this doesn't make sense, winter springs included.

Well I guess I need to jump in here CA, all last winter I worked doing commercial crabing and was very surprised at how it all worked crab,prawns etc al migrate I personally didnt know that.

ill give you some examples one week we would get small males and females and some keepers the next week would be fantastic with big numbers the following week some keepers and then soft shelled males and we were putting down the strings in the axact same spot and going from 30 ft to 120 ft with over 300 traps and covering about 5 miles of shoreline, but it was a eye opener and something that was very interesting I guess what we need is someone to come on here and explain to use all on how and what a prawns life cyle is and what they do.

I do know one thing in saanich inlet the depth is important if you get too deep you get them squat lobsters. but up in knight inlet we are going down to 350 plus feet to get them so every area is different and what about them coming up from the really deep spots we just dont know.

Wolf

I just thought i would share some info, but I guess i was wrong. I hope that all reports are stopped whether it be salmon , halibut crabs.....
If you want to report on fishing experiences please just state fin fish in the ocean. But that may be too specific so please just state something in the water.!@

Back