Calipers/rotors: D.i.y. Pics

I opted for the portable tanks over making them fixed so that I can spray the water where I want it most. I spray water through the wheel holes to the front side of the brakes and then under the trailer to the opposite brakes. (rear side) Then I rinse the axles and rear rollers off. All that is needed to make this a fixed system is a couple of fittings to the tanks. BTW, those used pressure water extinguishers can be had for real cheap. The "General" brand has lost its UL listing and are being removed from public buildings. My other business is servicing and selling this stuff...mine were free and I grabbed a couple more for spares.

How many gallons do you think a person would need for a tank to wash down the brakes and some extra cleaning. Say you launch the boat flush till you park and a bit, go fish,then put the trailer back in and put the boat on and flush again and maybe wash what ever. I figure those fire extinguishers are 2-2 1/2 gallons X 2, so about 5 gallons. I'm thinking about building a similar system using a plastic ATV spray tank their cheap( $40-$100) plumb the trailer and have a hose with one of those SurFlo wash down pumps. Wire the whole thing into the trailer plug for power. I'm thinking about a 10-20 gallon tank (to much ,not enough) just in the planing stage.

I wouldn't worry about having to much water. You just have to have enough pressure to expel all the water from what ever tank you choose. If my system with the 2-2 1/2 gallon tanks was fixed I would probably want more water. Being able to direct the water by hand lets me get away with less. 10 gallons for a fixed system would be enough for 2 uses per trip.

Thanks Rollie that's what I thought. Just wondered if you had to scrimp on your water or if you had enough. There is lots of nice poly spray tanks for sale most start at 20 gallons, but there are some smaller tanks around if you look. Just don't want to add to much to the tongue weight.

Another gallon per tank would be great but I make do by not wasting it. No spraying the other guys at the ramp. ;)

BTW, those used pressure water extinguishers can be had for real cheap. The "General" brand has lost its UL listing and are being removed from public buildings. My other business is servicing and selling this stuff...mine were free and I grabbed a couple more for spares.

They are a beautiful thing. Where can a guy buy a couple? - I'd swap out of the plastic tanks.

Another gallon per tank would be great but I make do by not wasting it. No spraying the other guys at the ramp. ;)

Oh come on that would be one of the reasons I'd hook up that system:D. Awesome stuff profisher. I'll be looking for some "General" extinguisher's from our local guy.

Foxsea, I would just put the word out to any of your local fire equipment shops that your looking for some "General" brand pressure water extinguishers. O r any older ones that they have pulled from buildings that they will let go cheap.

If you can refill bottles SCBA bottles that are out dated will hold a lot of air pressure and can be used multiple times before refill but you would need and in on the old SCBA cylinders from Divers or Fire Departments.

Just an idea ........ profisher ....... good set up ! good on ya posting. same as buddies but SCBA's

HT

I would say using a high pressure cylinder would be overkill. I run out of water before I run out of pressure. The ones I have operate at 100 to 125 psi. So you can fill them at home with a normal compressor.

Saw this today at Princess Auto and thought of this Thread. $100 and already has a 12 volt pump. Cut the spray wand off and and install a nozzle and your good to go. Measures 11"x16"x34" 2@GPM

Attachments

• IMG_0121.jpg
    IMG_0121.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0123.jpg
    IMG_0123.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 62
Last edited by a moderator:
I changed the heads from the ones in the pictures because with the high pressure it was just a mist. I would fool around with differance heads before you put the drums back on to check the spray. The ones I ended up using were black and had a adjustable nozzle. I also made one a little shorter than the other so one does the front side of the shoe and the other the back side.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back