Buying a used boat that is not registered

northshorebb

Looking at a boat and the current owner never registered it under their name when they bought it.

They do have the bill of sale from when they bought it.

Since it is not under their name, would this prevent me from properly registering it with TC and licensing it in BC?

Looking at a boat and the current owner never registered it under their name when they bought it.

They do have the bill of sale from when they bought it.

Since it is not under their name, would this prevent me from properly registering it with TC and licensing it in BC?
no, they do not care who had it previously. there concern is to register it

I checked the number (1K_ _ _ _) in the registry and it says the licence is active and does not expire. Do I request to transfer this one or apply for a new one?

The previous owner never transferred this license to his name when he bought it. Does it matter?

Your licence is currently active. Your licence does not have an expiry date.

If you choose to submit a request to update a PCL now, your licence will be valid for 10 years from the day of the update. Otherwise, it will be valid for 5 years when the new requirements come into effect.

Last edited:
I checked the number (1K_ _ _ _) in the registry and it says the licence is active and does not expire. Do I request to transfer this one or apply for a new one?

The previous owner never transferred this license to his name when he bought it. Does it matter?

Your licence is currently active. Your licence does not have an expiry date.

If you choose to submit a request to update a PCL now, your licence will be valid for 10 years from the day of the update. Otherwise, it will be valid for 5 years when the new requirements come into effect.
I'm also curious as the license is active, do you have to transfer it just leave it.

Is the only reason to transfer so you can pay the tax to the government, what do you get by having it in your name? Ive heard others never transfer them.

I'm also curious as the license is active, do you have to transfer it just leave it.

Is the only reason to transfer so you can pay the tax to the government, what do you get by having it in your name? Ive heard others never transfer them.
Yes your technically supposed to transfer it and pay the tax. Alot of people never do, but I've heard of somehow the government tracking people down for boats they bought 10 years ago and handing them a tax bill.

Back