Bronze, Plated or SS

Sitkaspruce

I have about 1500 "buzz Bomb" hooks that I use to use for anchovies. When I was guiding, we used to buy them bulk from Doug Fields. I liked them because they were strong, easy to sharpen and had a wield between the hooks to stop line pinch. The other, and in my opinion, best reason was that if you broke a fish off, the hooks rusted our in a couple of days, hopefully with min damage to the fish. The con to these hooks was that they were disposable, you only got 2-3 days out of them before they started to rust.

My question is does anybody use bronze hooks any more? Why or why not? I notice in the hook talk here and other places that the hooks seem to be SS or plated. I notice that the pre rigged lures are all SS, Plated or Galvinized. Does these hooks disolve or rust out if broke off?

Just curious about what people use.

Cheers

SS

I have bronze mustad trebles and singles from guiding days that I use from time-to-time. Must admit though I prefer stainless since I fish less now and my tackle sits in my box and would rust between outings. After the guiding days, I can't recall the last time I have broken a fish off and don't use heavy leader material on my bait.

Back