Brine methods

• Thread starter Thread starter SlabOn
  • Start date Start date
Check out this former thread.

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2701&SearchTerms=bait+brine

First buy frozen chovies that don't have any brown around the head, clear eyes are good. Thaw in fridge. Put 1 cup coarse rock salt in a 6 pack cooler and add about 1 to 1 1/2 cups fresh water and stir for 5 or so minutes untill most of the salt is dissolved. Add chovies and put in fridge overnight. Next morning you are ready, keep the brine cool or they will go soft. These choves should be firm to produce a tight roll. If you have firm bait left over take them out of the brine and put in a ziploc in the fridge till next time. the best day I ever had spring fishing was with 1 week old brined bait and we outfished everybody. Stiff chovies = tight roll = big springs.

Good luck

When your thawing your anchcovies or herring sprinkle some salt on them, a little trick we did at the fishing resort I worked at, also the hotter the brine the better and I mean it burns your hand when you stick it in your cooler, dont be cheap with the salt, and on hot days throw ice in your brine, when the water goes warm your bait will get soft. On rainy days cover your brine up, if you get to much water in there your bait will go soft. Never peel your bait off the trays until their thawed, you want all the scales to stay on. Nice firm shinny bait equals good fishing.

I'm done farting around making brine. I've tried them all.
I got straightened out on this this summer and haven't looked back since.
From now on I use only fresh frozen. The milk powder, the blueing.... gimme a break.
There is no reason a day tripper should have to use brine. Maybe if you're out in the bush with no refrigeration... but otherwise I'm out.
The only thing I pack now is a baggy of course salt. On the rare occasions the little beauties get soft, I sprinkle some salt on but thats it.

i disagree, after using the "salmon U" brine my bait lasts
way longer.[8D] i used to do the same as you, just lay them out
in a tupper ware container in a bed of rock salt.
1/2 way through the morning, they were soft and would not roll
properly.

not on a bed of salt. There needs to be juice so that the salt melts and takes water out of the chovy.
Anyway if you leave it in too long you end up with a mummified freak of a chovie that doesn't look natural at all.

I dont know about all this fancy brining stuff. I put my anchovies in a large ziploc bag with coarse salt. After a while the bait gets slightly dried and toughened up - but this is fine as it makes it easy to rig up. Then after a few minutes in the water it plumps up looks great, its quite firm and holds its roll well. That's my 2 bits worth.

quote: I dont know about all this fancy brining stuff. I put my anchovies in a large ziploc bag with coarse salt. After a while the bait gets slightly dried and toughened up - but this is fine as it makes it easy to rig up. Then after a few minutes in the water it plumps up looks great, its quite firm and holds its roll well. That's my 2 bits worth.

thats the same rig i run, works for me. some times i add a little squirt of WD40

i just sprinkle rock salt on the tray put it in a little igloo cooler with an ice pac on the bottom throw the whole thing in the deep freeze when you get home. its good to go next time out. bait,s always in nice shape.works for me!:D

hey last weekend i used my same old brine water with lots and lotsa salt , i like my bait firm . anyways funny thing was the bellies of the bait ended up being soft and most of the bellies blow out. man i was pissed but anyways i`ve never had this problem before . why ??? i read from salmon university 2 use powder milk 2 firm up the meat! does anyone use this???salt usually does the trick , but maybe bad bait ! i dunno. tight lines scottyboy

Like you said..probley "bad bait" perhaps it thawed out one too many times from the time it was caught till you used it. When I have bait like this it is sometimes ok by the second day of a very heavy salt brine, sometimes not.

Where did you get it from so we can avoid the place..?

i use the powdered milk, and non-iodized salt in the brine
also helps to use non chlorinated water.
the bait stayed shiny and firm and i used about 1/2 the bait i normally use !

quote:Originally posted by scottyboy

hey last weekend i used my same old brine water with lots and lotsa salt , i like my bait firm . anyways funny thing was the bellies of the bait ended up being soft and most of the bellies blow out. man i was pissed but anyways i`ve never had this problem before . why ??? i read from salmon university 2 use powder milk 2 firm up the meat! does anyone use this???salt usually does the trick , but maybe bad bait ! i dunno. tight lines scottyboy
Had the same problem when I tried to re-cycle old bait. The bait probably got to warm for a while cause I didn't have it refridgerated.
The milk powder is supposed to shine up the scales not firm up the meat.

i`ve never used powdered milk before but in salmon university it said the milk firmed the meat , just going on what they said

i remember back this bate was left over from a 5 day fishing trip . the packs were un opened and on salt ice the whole time. when i got home back in the freezer they went . i`ve always done that . what the heck did i do different?? beatin my head . tight lines scottyboy

Here's the Salmon U "lesson" for brine:

http://www.salmonuniversity.com/ol_brining_herring.html

Been using it in the last couple of years and it works GREAT!
Except I use 1 gallon of filtered (non-chlorinated) water (my cooler is not as big as the in the pics) and 2 full cups of salt. I.e. proportionally a little MORE salt than what Salmon U recommends. Don't skimp on the salt - seems to make the chovie more firm and it definitely last longer! If the water is warm when you pour in the salt, it seems to dissolve the salt a little faster, but I make sure it's cool before I throw in the bait! I don't know if the milk powder makes any difference but I throw it in there anyways. The blueing definitely makes the bait more shiny (looks kinda cool[8D])... but does it fish better? I have no idea!

Back