Braid... hollow vs solid core?

AndrewH

Been fishing mono only but all this recent talk about braid has me wanting to try it out on one of my mr3’s.

With the little knowledge I have and mainly online reading regarding braid, does the hollow core really make the price difference worth it? I assume many guys are running solid just fine with a mono topper and not having issues with the knot.

So... does the ability to serve the braid and mono together justify the price or can the solid braid work just fine?

fished with braid since the mid 90's back in they UK. and have been running a no name brand braid for a few years 50lb test on all of my reels with a two rod length mono 25-lb top shot
think it was $35 for 1500m its faded over time but they all do
i load up 150 yds of 30lb fly line backing yellow or orange onto the bare spool then 300-450 yds of your chosen braid then tie on your mono top shot. start to see backing get that motor fired up and start chasing...lol
only happened once but that was a seal.
but others do it many differing ways, got to see what works for you ..
all the best ...
careful with knots on super braids find one that you can tie good, lots on youtube ....
other tip if you get into a tangle birds nest its best to to cut it off and start a new
not easy to unpick.

oh go with a sold core you'll find it in 4 strand (cheaper) or think 8 strand.

Best braid for mooching reels I have used is Suffix 832. Used it now since it first came out some 7 years ago. The stuff really performs and unlike most braids does not tuck under itself as it is perfectly round (like mono). I always use a section of top shot floro carbon of 50 feet so that the Scotty clip can hold it properly. The other problem I discovered if you just use straight braid is on really large fish, they can bury the braid into the Scotty clip and it will not release! The other bonus of using the Suffix 832 is it will last a few seasons - tough as nails. Little more investment up front, but cheaper in the longer term because it lasts forever....as in multiple seasons guiding.

Here is a great knot for mono to solid spectra:

Spectra will last AT LEAST 15 years unless it is damaged. I replace the mono topshot as needed but at least yearly.

For hollow core braid, you will need some specialized equipment. Here is a video of making that connection:

The hollow stuff is nice on any reel that is used for casting when the connection must pass thru the line guides. The hollow packs flat, meaning it is not as prone to digging into itself on the reel as the solid is - also increase line capacity a bit ; usually a non-issue for the fish we catch up here.

The connection of mono-to-hollow is also 100% of line strength versus a lesser amount of any knot used with solid. With our fish, this can be mitigated by just using stronger solid braid & mono.

I had been using 20# solid braid with 40# mono on my moochers but just switched to 40# hollow to 40# mono.

If you are fishing Tuna with live bait the lower drag of the spectra allows the bait to swim better.

After 20+ years with spectra, I HATE mono, but with no stretch spectra is not idiot proof.

For my Shimano 4000 moochers I used 250 yards of solid spectra then sliced 400 yards of hollow on top to save money.

www.charkbait.com is a good supplier of materials & info on using braid be it solid or hollow.

Back