Boat Flips at Clover Point Victoria

beemer

https://www.cheknews.ca/sos-in-ross-bay-sees-coast-guard-vessels-v2v-empress-respond-614650/

passed a loaded down 16 foot aluminum with 3 commercial urchin divers in Oak Bay coming back from Pedder. I got back to Oak Bay Marina and heard a pan pan for a flipped boat with 3 guys on top near clover. We responded as did the Victoria Harbour Patrol. We arrived at the same time as did the V2V. The harbour Patrol was a rib so he went in to pull them off , Coast Guard rib arrived shortly after. These guys got lucky.IMG_0604[759].JPG IMG_0605[760].JPG

Yikes - good for you for responding. I am a bit nuts about keeping a vhf on just in case there's a call out like that.

I find it a little humourous that they sent it out as a pan pan. I guess that's the advantage of being in wetsuits already...for most people that looks like a pretty legit mayday. But these guys: "well, we're still on the boat, it's just the wrong way up and we can't maneuver properly, so just make it a pan pan."

And I love the photo of everyone helping to haul the boat onto the beach. Are they just random bystanders helping out?

yes , surprised it was a pan pan as well. It was called in by someone on clover point. There is a Coasty coordinating the pulling on shore , everyone else are bystanders. that was several hours later.

Very cool to see people just pitching in to help with the boat. If you spend enough time on the internet you expect everyone to start asking questions about their legal liability if the boat gets scratched or who pays for your time off work if you hurt your back.

Meanwhile, if you spend enough time on the beach, you just go help out.

I guess for 3 guys who are used to being in the water all the time and if dressed for it then standing on an overturned hull to them would be like wake boarding to others.

I feel sorry for these guys , they lost all their dive gear , a full load of urchins and the boat is a write off , BUT , when they passed me they had less than 1 foot of freeboard in the stern entering one of the roughest channels in the area ,Enterprise Channel, with a wind over tide situation blowing 20 knots. The waves were short and very steep. I have seen these guys around and they seem to be pretty professional but that was a seriously bad judgement call.

I feel sorry for these guys , they lost all their dive gear , a full load of urchins and the boat is a write off , BUT , when they passed me they had less than 1 foot of freeboard in the stern entering one of the roughest channels in the area ,Enterprise Channel, with a wind over tide situation blowing 20 knots. The waves were short and very steep. I have seen these guys around and they seem to be pretty professional but that was a seriously bad judgement call.

Darwin nearly won that one!

Bad choices made by a supposedly professional crew. Glad they are ok, but should of known better.

Back