Boat buying details

• Thread starter Thread starter MD.
  • Start date Start date
M

MD.

I've been looking for a 14 foot open aluminum boat but I was wondering if when you buy a boat and trailer if there is paperwork that I should expect the seller to have.

I've never owned a boat so all this is new to me.

Pardon the dumb question; but is there a registration paper I can expect for the boat?

And the trailer has to be licensed to go on the road so do I have to do a transfer from the prvious owner with the motor vehicle branch like I would with a car?

Thank you.

You should have a bill of sale that lists the trailer and its price separately from the boat and motor. You also need the signed transfer for the trailer, just like a car. Make sure that everyone whose name is on the car title has signed the transfer. I got caught on that one once.

For the boat, you want to get the original license that has the K number on it. This, with the bill of sale for the boat, you will take to Service Canada to transfer the registration.

If the owner does not have the original license you have to fill out a statutory declaration and get it signed by a notary or lawyer and show it with ID to Service Canada on Pandora street along with Bill of Sale. I was in and out of there in 20 minutes with new license and BC number. There is also no charge. Pretty straight forward actually.

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/en/sc/boats/index.shtml

Back