Bilge Pump Thru Hull

Saxe Point

I have a 1986 16 Double Eagle. It has a bilge pump (switch at helm, no float switch), but there is no thru hull for the discharge. Someone's got to hold the hose overboard while it runs - not ideal. Any recommendations/advice on whether it's a good idea to install a thru hull? Is it more trouble than it's worth? If I go this route, I've read that there should be something to prevent water siphoning back in - some mention a loop in the hose; others say a "vented loop" device? Any tricks to avoid fouling up the drilling? Location of the thru hull? I assume this is something I could do myself? If I'm going to drill a hole in my boat, I want to get this right. Many thanks.

I drilled mine on the starboard side, about 2' above the waterline, I also installed a float switch. In theory, I should be able to monitor any time there is water in the bilge, It had a through hull that dumped straight out the stern, but unless you hit the switch and made a point of watching it you never knew if there was water under the motor. I have now installed an auto/manuel switch in the dash for an additional 1050 cfm with built in float switch. This is in addition to the two 850.s, one auto the other manual. One 850 is wired to my main battery through the battery switch and one is wired to an aux battery which is dedicated to only my electronics and this pump. The 1050, only has power when the main ignition is on. Now that the motor has been removed and the hull pod is almost finished, I will be running a 3rd battery, which will power the 1050 while the boat is moored.

What Labman said or a screw mount zap strap for the hose and bailer for the guy who used to hold the hose.

Get some 1/2" or 3/4" poly irrigation hose and a couple of 90's and run it out the boot that all your control wires and your steering cable goes and out the back of your boat. That way you don't have to drill any holes and you can hold it all in place with a couple zap straps or if there is a screw holding something back there there is some wire clamps that you can get that go around the wire and are held on with a screw, just take the screw out and put the clamp on the hose and put the screw back in. I did this on my last boat for my wash down suction hose work great.

casper, excellent idea. I am thinking of installing an additional bilge pump and did not like the thought of drilling another hole in the boat.

Of course you drill the hole well above the water line. Waterproof the hole with silicone.

To prevent siphoning, you loop the hose (if there's enough room above the hole you drilled) before it exits the boat.

You can get a pump with a built in float switch and save yourself the hassle of installing an external float switch. Then wire the pump to a manual/automatic switch with a built in red light at the helm. Set the switch to automatic so the pump automatically comes on whenever there's water in the bilge. The red light will come on to alert you whenever the pump comes on.

You want to wire the pump to a full time source of power (directly to the battery). In this way, the pump comes on (when the switch is left in the automatic setting) even if you're not in the boat.

Good luck.

High as you can and not silicone thats for windows in a house...(sorry red) sika is the only thing you should use on a boat

Yes, use a marine sealant on the hole and let it dry. Then use marine calking on the thru hull fitting. You get the idea. ;)

In fact I used Sikaflex (whatever the heck it's made of) on a hole I drilled last year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Same boat. First off get the best and fastest bilge pump you can find with big outlet, and make sure you actually screw it down and install it.
Good luck
High five

Absolutely! When I had my boat surveyed, I learned that most pumps are rated at a short, horizontal discharge. They will not put out even half of the rated flow at a 2' head - even less with fittings and bends and cheap, corrugated tubing. The surveyor suggested no less than 2 pumps - minimum 1000 gph. One set down low and a larger pump somewhat higher. The logic is that a small, cheaper pump will be engaged for routine pumping with low battery drain. When you really need it though, the larger, back-up pump will handle the emergency. (As long as the batteries are up.) Check the float switch and pump operation regularly.

Get some 1/2" or 3/4" poly irrigation hose and a couple of 90's and run it out the boot that all your control wires and your steering cable goes and out the back of your boat. That way you don't have to drill any holes and you can hold it all in place with a couple zap straps or if there is a screw holding something back there there is some wire clamps that you can get that go around the wire and are held on with a screw, just take the screw out and put the clamp on the hose and put the screw back in. I did this on my last boat for my wash down suction hose work great.

This is just bad advise.Do not be afraid to put in a proper thru-hull. If its to much for you hire some one to do it but its not a huge deal. Rule 1500 bilge pump, rule float switch and a proper rule dash switch. 1 1/8 hose is sold where you buy the pump.they will have the proper thru hull there for your set up. Do not buy cheap.Do not do it haywire Its keeping your boat afloat when trouble happens. Drill the hole as high as possible. Seal the hole with sikaflex or 5200. It can be the fast cure type makes it easier. Once the hole is sealed sikaflex the back of the thru hull and put it in place Keep your run of hose as short and sweet as possible. The more hose
, the more drag , the less flow. If youre worried about siphoning a check valve with a small rubber flap can be placed in line. Place it as close to the thru hull as possible so as not to have a hose full of water.

If you want i can give you detailed info on how to hook up the float switch and pump. Its not hard at all. And a second float switch to a bell is the best alarm going

X2
I have now wired my 1150 gph, to a really annoying buzzer! I put it on the front of my helm, can't miss it there!

This is just bad advise.Do not be afraid to put in a proper thru-hull. If its to much for you hire some one to do it but its not a huge deal. Rule 1500 bilge pump, rule float switch and a proper rule dash switch. 1 1/8 hose is sold where you buy the pump.they will have the proper thru hull there for your set up. Do not buy cheap.Do not do it haywire Its keeping your boat afloat when trouble happens. Drill the hole as high as possible. Seal the hole with sikaflex or 5200. It can be the fast cure type makes it easier. Once the hole is sealed sikaflex the back of the thru hull and put it in place Keep your run of hose as short and sweet as possible. The more hose
, the more drag , the less flow. If youre worried about siphoning a check valve with a small rubber flap can be placed in line. Place it as close to the thru hull as possible so as not to have a hose full of water.
Didn't say it was great advise. He didn't want to drill a hole in his boat. I also said that I did mine for a wash down pump. Your advise is solid and that is how I did all three of my bilge pumps.

Its amazing how impersonal typing is.i read my post and it seems like i rip you casper and then i come off as a know it all.hahaha.im a jerk. not on here to bash anyone.ive worked at a shipyard for a number of years and done this process so many times is all.and seen so many boats come in with haywire bilge pump crap that it was a pet peeve of mine.

R-e-s-p-e-c-t

Didn't say it was great advise. He didn't want to drill a hole in his boat. I also said that I did mine for a wash down pump. Your advise is solid and that is how I did all three of my bilge pumps.

An elegant response to an unnecessarily abrasive criticism!
I appreciate all the opinions and contributions that help me in making my own decisions. I thought you had a creative solution to a unique situation. I hope we will never put a chill on those through dismissive responses. Respect - ful communication keeps this board friendly and active. Thanks, Casper.

We all have our hot buttons. As I'm typing, Hali killer comes back with a reasonable explanation for a "harsh" post. That makes eveyone feel like we came to the right place. Well done, Guys!

(I'll now get out there - sheepishly - to connect a high-water alarm. Thanks for that suggestion. Should have done it years ago - and it didn't come up on survey. Woops.)

Last edited by a moderator:
All is well Halli Killer. I to see things on boats to that make me shake my head at too. I'm a bit anal about things when it comes to boats and bilge pumps hence the 3 bilge pumps but when I need them I know that they are there. I am toying with the idea of teeing in to my wash down pump with 2 gate valves on the back side of the tee on the suction side to use as emergency pump if I was to take a big greenery over the back as my boat does not self bail.

Back