Big waves - trolling tactics

TheBigGuy

With all the saltwater fishing experience on this board, I'm sure someone has a solution to this. I am a very stubborn fisherman and bad weather will not persuade me to go back to shore. When it gets very windy I don't have good success trolling for Salmon. I'm talking over four to six foot wave height. I have the odd good day trolling for Sockeye or Coho in big waves, but rarely Chinook. Does anyone use a technique that works well on those really windy days that catches springs regularly. What gear do you use, setbacks from rigger clips, leader lengths etc. that work on those windy days on the chuck.

Any tips would be appreciated.

The only thing we used to do is drop the tag line (line between your clip and flasher) back an extra 20 pulls to act more like a cusion. If the fish are there they will take in pretty big seas. I can recall days where seas were rolling between 12-15 footers and having every boat that dare to be there hooking double and triple headers. Key word being HOOKED not LANDED in that water!

Well if your that stubborn I guess carry on!!!! do what these 2 guides have said who are by the way very good fisherman BUT is a salmon really worth that much to fish in those conditions there will and always will be another day to go out and fish in weather like that it becomes a safety issue all it takes is ONE bad wave and you may not be fishing another day.

Good luck Wolf

I was waiting for that one Wolf. I enjoy fishing regardless of the weather. I have been on the chuck for over 30 years and consider myself a very competent seaman. I wouldn't risk staying out in weather that my boat wasn't capable of handling. That said, I only have so many holidays a year to fish on the Island. I like to spend all the time fishing that I can, when I have the opportunity. I'm one of those guys who'll go out before first light and stay till after the sun goes down. Please have pity on me it's a disease.

Best day I ever had for Salmon was 7-8ft swells with 2-3ft wind chop and about 20-25kts of wind.

We got stuck outside the Columbia River Bar waiting for the tide to go on the flood before the entrance would re-open, so we fished. We hooked 33-Coho in about 4 hours. Lots of fishing on our knees but man what a day.

Trolling speed control was the the key. Drifted down wind using the big motor only to keep straight or reverse to slow down. We had to quarter the swell up wind to keep the ride smooth and the helm work to a reasonble level. Beyond thats same rigging and technique as clam conditions.

Back