Big Island Fishing Charters - Kona Area/Hawaii

SpringVelocity

Crew Member
Anyone I have any recommendations for charters? I am going to Big Island at end of December. Been on trip years back at Kauai. Never been to big island of Hawaii before.

Where are you staying? Honokohau ships harbor (marina) has a bunch of good chatter skippers just north of kona town.

If you're in the Waikaloa area or north, then aim to charter out of kawaihae harbor. It's quieter and I'd say more rugged than the Honokoau fishing, those guys hit the off shore trench where the guys up north fish structure.

Can't go too wrong, oh and bring your visa, fully paid off first haha

Oh and a pro tip for when you land at Koa, leave someone to grab the bags and sprint to the car rental joint, or wait forever in line...

Where are you staying? Honokohau ships harbor (marina) has a bunch of good chatter skippers just north of kona town.

If you're in the Waikaloa area or north, then aim to charter out of kawaihae harbor. It's quieter and I'd say more rugged than the Honokoau fishing, those guys hit the off shore trench where the guys up north fish structure.

Oh and a pro tip for when you land at Koa, leave someone to grab the bags and sprint to the car rental joint, or wait forever in line...
Car rental tip is A+ info we do the same in Maui or just go carry on. What a nightmare it can be otherwise, multiple flights unloading on the same luggage rack 🤦‍♂️ its van isle time x5 over there speed wise.

Thanks I am just south of Kona at Kahaluu-Keauhou. Looks like both harbours you mentioned are easy driving distance.

Haha Yeah I assume the rental car thing will be like Kauai.

I always find renting from the slightly more expensive place saves that hassle. It's always the most heavily discounted one that has the huge lineup.

I fish with Kevin Hibbard when I go there on 2nd Offence. Good guy. Highly recommended. Give him a call.

Call Captain Hibbard at (808) 987-0781

I went out with Salty Squid. The boat is a Bertram 31. We got a Mahi and a big hit.....think it was Ono. Fun times. Raw boat. Just for fishing. Great guys on it. Gung ho to fish. First light.....raring to get out there.

Back