Best fishing on island right now.

Rockin Johnny

If you could go fish anywhere on island this coming week where would you go? At this point I’m leaning towards Ukee so that we have many options including Bamfield area, aswell as protection in case of wind. But reports seems to read that it’s slowing down around there. Winter H is also at the top of my list. Any input is appreciated… thx.

Thanks. Just the two of us looking to make a quick trip to get our limits (hali , springs and ho’s). Heading up from the Okanagan.

If you could go fish anywhere on island this coming week where would you go? At this point I’m leaning towards Ukee so that we have many options including Bamfield area, aswell as protection in case of wind. But reports seems to read that it’s slowing down around there. Winter H is also at the top of my list. Any input is appreciated… thx.
When you hear it's slowing down it's probably time to go and if you hear it's on fire your too late.

Good point, you’re probably right, that’s when you get the “you shoulda been here yesterday” lol.

Last year was my first time fishing Ukee since I was a kid and I fell in love with it. Between the weather, the fishing options, the beaches for the family to keep busy and the community was awesome. My new island fav….

Last year was my first time fishing Ukee since I was a kid and I fell in love with it. Between the weather, the fishing options, the beaches for the family to keep busy and the community was awesome. My new island fav….
If it was me I’d skip the ferries and drive to Rupert lol

If it was me I’d skip the ferries and drive to Rupert lol
Oh buddy, I head there every 2-3 years, once I forget how brutally long the drive is… Heading there next year via inside passage. We will see if the boat ride is as long. lol.

Are you in a boat or planning to hire charters? Depending on your equipment, you may also want to look at Hardy or Telegraph Cove/PMN area. Lots of sheltered areas to fish between the small islands and good places to stay or camp overnight.

My boat yes, Kingfisher 2525. That’s a spot on my “go to list”. Thx

My boat yes, Kingfisher 2525. That’s a spot on my “go to list”. Thx
I’d go to Hardy if coming on the ferry to Nanaimo. Good fishing grounds, lots of choices for places to stay at and fish cleaning/ packaging facilities close by. PMN and Malcolm Island are good too, as long as you’re not looking for big adventures.

I’d go to Hardy if coming on the ferry to Nanaimo. Good fishing grounds, lots of choices for places to stay at and fish cleaning/ packaging facilities close by. PMN and Malcolm Island are good too, as long as you’re not looking for big adventures.
Thabks, sounds good. I would need to do my research as I’ve never been. PMN? Is that Port Mcniel?. We will be staying on boat, either on dock or on hook.

Thabks, sounds good. I would need to do my research as I’ve never been. PMN? Is that Port Mcniel?. We will be staying on boat, either on dock or on hook.
Yes, P Mcneil. Easy access to groceries, restaurants and safe parking for the trailer. @Capt_Ed might be able to share more info if you’re heading that way.

Except you have to run at least an hour to escape the same regs as here

Last edited:
Great, I appreciate all the input. Weather looks sketchy up north now and I want to stay away from the slots. Ukee it is and I will leave a report with what we find.🎣

Back