Best Battery

Personal opinion with this style system would be to get 2 new batteries dual purpose agm group 24 or 27. You can isolate to one when anchoring and leave it on both the rest of the time. Your kicker has a charging circuit and is pull start and primary use is day trips fishing.
I was told that you should only use one battery at a time, especially when charging underway. I've heard that the battery charge eventually goes out of balance between the two batteries and you can prematurely kill one of the batteries. This may be totally wrong or over-cautious. When I got my boat it had dual group 27 batteries that had always been used combined together - both were still fine.

Maybe not an issue if you replace with two identical batteries at the same time?

i would recommend renogy (pro series), dakota lithium (dual purpose series) or roamer batteries (which are annoyingly password protected but the password is 666666/888888). all the rest have issues. relions leak, eco-worthys have BMS restart issues, li-times have the same issues as eco-worthy (maybe sharing same BMS software).
as far as non lithiums the only battery which lasted me was the northstar AGMs, specifically the NSB AGM-31M. Those are no longer in production. The MightyMax AGM also did well but its low capacity for my alarm system (which is being upgraded to a dakota lithium soon).

Last edited:
Another vote for the Interestate deep cycle for both batteries. Never had any issues with them for the last 12 years and have used them on 3 different boats. I replace them every 6 years as a precautionary but can probably get 8+ years on them. I just do the basic maintenance and keep them on a trickle charger during the winter storage.

I was told that you should only use one battery at a time, especially when charging underway. I've heard that the battery charge eventually goes out of balance between the two batteries and you can prematurely kill one of the batteries. This may be totally wrong or over-cautious. When I got my boat it had dual group 27 batteries that had always been used combined together - both were still fine.

Maybe not an issue if you replace with two identical batteries at the same time?
shouldn’t be a problem with 2 of the same. Many applications combine multiple batteries without issue. If you’re combining different batteries then yes you could have issues in the long term.

Back