Best Battery

Stizzla

Crew Member
what is the best starter and house battery these days? I haven’t been keeping up with technology there…

My new boat only had a changer on one so the other isn’t bouncing back after charged it. I’m beginning to think this guy ripped me off.

Interstate. Had my last set 8 years and they were still working well. Only changed as a precaution this year. I never even had a trickle charge on them over the winter ever. Fully charged them up when I parked boat in Nov then did a full charge in May at beginning of season. I think I paid approx $250 for the starting/house battery each. Also, add the Blue Seas “add a battery switch”. It’ll make everything simpler for charging.

How’s the system setup. 1/2/all or with add a battery? Lithium house is nice but adds expense with the dcdc. I would go get 2new agm at Costco or even there fla would be just fine for your application there warranty is very good.

Interstate. Had my last set 8 years and they were still working well. Only changed as a precaution this year. I never even had a trickle charge on them over the winter ever. Fully charged them up when I parked boat in Nov then did a full charge in May at beginning of season. I think I paid approx $250 for the starting/house battery each. Also, add the Blue Seas “add a battery switch”. It’ll make everything simpler for charging.

Thanks! I have a switch installed already.
I too did well with the green top battery in the past.

How’s the system setup. 1/2/all or with add a battery? Lithium house is nice but adds expense with the dcdc. I would go get 2new agm at Costco or even there fla would be just fine for your application there warranty is very good.
I jumped online but couldn't see them anymore? Have you seen them at the warehouse recently? When I was last looking a couple years ago they only had the marine post agm online for a 24/27 size, I have a size 34 house battery agm from costco but had to go Canadian tire for starter agm with marine posts.

what is the best starter and house battery these days? I haven’t been keeping up with technology there…

My new boat only had a changer on one so the other isn’t bouncing back after charged it. I’m beginning to think this guy ripped me off.
Smart chargers have a "repair" mode on them now. May bring back a severely depleted battery that won't accept standard charge cycle.

I picked up a canada tough from trotac - starts my df350 and df20 no problem. Cost was reasonable and good warranty. I know a lot of people are doing the lithium but I am not drinking that cool-aid yet. The cost of a sealed lead acid is peanuts in comparison- my 2 cents.

Last edited:
I’m beginning to think this guy ripped me off.
If you're suffering buyer's remorse, I'm sure one of us would help you out.🤔🙄😊

PS. Congrats on the new boat 😎

I picked up a canada tough from trotac - starts my df350 and df20 no problem. Cost was reasonable and good warranty. I know a lot of people are doing the lithium but I am not drinking that cool-aid yet. The cost of a sealed lead acid is peanuts in comparison- my 2 cents.
The big benefits are seen more on a large house bank that’s being depleted quite a bit, charge time is much faster with lithium not a big concern on most sport boats until you do a lot of anchoring.
I jumped online but couldn't see them anymore? Have you seen them at the warehouse recently? When I was last looking a couple years ago they only had the marine post agm online for a 24/27 size, I have a size 34 house battery agm from costco but had to go Canadian tire for starter agm with marine posts.
Need to go into local store the online for this is no good.

I got a group 24 Energizer AGM from Cosco at the beginning of the season. They didn't have the marine version - just clamp-on automotive posts, no threaded posts. I bought adapters, and so far its been great. Lots of juice and no issues starting. Battery was $249, but with taxes + enviro, closer to $290.

1/2/ or both.

X2 for Interstate if your just doing the normal stuff without overnight stays etc to drag batteries down. Just replaced my start battery after 10 years with another Interstate as a precaution. It was still starting my engine fine. Left my house battery in as it’s still doing its thing. Congrats on your boat.

I used Interstate for years with no problem in my Campion Explorer. I also replaced the batteries regardless every 5 years.
For your system you should get 2 identical batteries Probably group 24 or 27 deep cycle as you really don’t need a dedicated start type battery. I have been told in a simple charge system both batteries should be identical otherwise they have different charge characteristics.
In my Commander I use Interstate for the diesel start batteries and 4 Rolls 6 volt AGM golf cart batteries for the house but I also have separate chargers.
The Rolls AGM’s are amazing batteries.

Last edited:
I used Interstate for years with no problem. I also replaced the batteries regardless every 5 years.
For your system you should get 2 identical batteries Probably group 24 or 27 deep cycle as you really don’t need a dedicated start type battery. I have been told in a simple charge system both batteries should be the same otherwise they have different charge characteristics.
In my Commander I use Interstate for the diesel start batteries and 4 Rolls 6 volt AGM golf cart batteries for the house.
The Rolls are amazing batteries.

Go to Sherwood, great selection and warranty. Prices are usaullY better than most places

Back